Engine Died after driving through deep snow. Service Brake System message.

duluthsnow

Original poster
Dec 17, 2013
We had 20" of new snow with four foot drifts yesterday and I was able to get to work OK but noticed a miss in the engine when stopped at a light. I came home for lunch and had to get through snow deeper than the undercarriage. I still noticed the miss in the engine. After work I started home and made it about 1/4 mile before the engine died and SERVICE BRAKE SYSTEM appeared. It's 10F for a high the next few days. I used a strap and towed it back to my work parking lot. It seems to me that moisture got where it wasn't supposed to. Any Ideas? Jim

duluthsnow

Original poster
Dec 17, 2013
I went this morning to look for a loose wire (crank sensor?) but was unable to dislodge all the snow and ice which has filled every gap in the undercarraige. I guess I will have to tow it to Miami to thaw (or at least to a heated shop) before any more diagnostics can be performed.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Any of a hundred things could be sensitive to blowing snow getting into the engine compartment and then melting. Especially wiring to the PCM or a sensor. Service Brake system is usually an ABS sensor (like from the rear of the bearing hubs) or an ABS control module ground on the frame underneath the driver's seat. Too many possibilities to troubleshoot with the info you posted. I'd get it on a lift in a warm garage and inspect the heck out of everything underneath or in the engine compartment.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
A proper thaw may at least get the vehicle in a driveable condition where you can do further tests.

Texan

Jan 14, 2014
duluthsnow said:
I went this morning to look for a loose wire (crank sensor?) but was unable to dislodge all the snow and ice which has filled every gap in the undercarraige. I guess I will have to tow it to Miami to thaw (or at least to a heated shop) before any more diagnostics can be performed.

Quick question. Did you try to start the engine and did it run? If so, you could probably drive it,
but would not have anti-lock brakes. Test it and see if you have regular brakes.

duluthsnow

Original poster
Dec 17, 2013
When I turn the key it is similar to security mode where nothing happens. The only light on the dash that blinks is the ABS (6-7 times). No crank.....nada.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Hello from the Cities.

There have been a few times in my 7 years of ownership that the snow has affected my ride. Never a light of any sort and never failed to start.

As mentioned above...
Give it a thaw. Maybe parking it overnight at a shop and paying whatever diagnostic fee to get it thawed out so you can take their prognosis and go from there? Might be your quickest option. :twocents:

Edit: Maybe a shop owner would be willing to charge you $20 or whatever to "hold" it overnight? They never look at it and you can do it all yourself? (Some take offense at suggesting someone else look at it. Sorry, did not intend to imply you couldn't diagnose it yourself.)

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
First step in a no start no crank is to check the battery and it's connections. Are the headlights bright or dim? Got a voltmeter?

duluthsnow

Original poster
Dec 17, 2013
Replaced the battery two months ago. Lights bright. This Trailblazer has been unstoppable in the snow for the most part. I crawled under and chipped away at the snow and ice for 30 minutes this morning. It's really packed in there.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
duluthsnow said:
Replaced the battery two months ago.

Why? What was the previous problem? Highly suspect any recent maintenance. Double check battery bolts, boots, terminals and ground to frame connections for corrosion. For a 2002 have you ever taken the red and black boots off to inspect the ring terminals?

duluthsnow

Original poster
Dec 17, 2013
I can't believe the original battery lasted as long as it did, and it was still OK when I replaced. Probably a good thing since we have had over 60 days below zero so far this season. The top connection is fine but I have not checked the ground to frame connection. I do not know what ring terminals are, but I will be sure to check when I can get it thawed out.

Since it was running rough at idle after plowing through the snow I suspect moisture in something, a cracked something, or a wire that came detached from something. Now to find the something.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YSB

Members Online