Embarrassment with ice.

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
A few days ago on my way to work I got stuck by ice. No, not a lot of ice, just a little bit along the right side of the road. The traffic light turned red so the traffic stopped on a little bit of an incline. When it turned green, I noticed the guy in front of me (some FWD sedan of some sort) hesitated before moving. I thought he was just not paying attention (just the day before at a stoplight I looked in my mirror and I swear everyone behind me was looking down at their phones or whatever :hopeless:). Anyway, he went, then I went to move, and WHIRRRRRRR my rear passenger tire just spun - the "damp" tire track along the right side of the road in this one spot was actually ice. Nice. I got angry at the junkyard again for not giving me the G80 that I wanted when I replaced my axle a few months ago :mad:

Tried increasing torque on both sides with some light brake pressure (a trick that got me out of some trouble a couple years ago in my old Camaro with an open diff). No go this time since it was uphill. Fine, pop it into 4x4 and just go on my merry way, right?

:no:

The gears in the disconnect in the front weren't aligned, so it didn't engage the front wheels. Crap. I'm still spinning the right rear like an idiot :redface:

Turned the wheel left and right a few times and it clicked into place finally. I sheepishly made my way forward without any more incident. Glanced in my rear mirror and the city's utility cherry picker truck that was behind me was just sitting there, spinning his tire now. Heh, OK, I don't feel quite as bad anymore :crazy:

I'm just glad GM didn't put any 4x4 logos on these trucks or I would have felt even stupider :lipsrsealed:

With the crazy weather that Ohio is notorious for, tomorrow's high is near 60, so no ice to worry about then :crazy:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
That happens to EVERYBODY without a G80 at one point. The danger is getting on the gas, then the locker engages with a bang and your differential pukes parts out through new holes in the cover.

IslandRunner

Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
that happens to everybody without a g80 at one point. The danger is getting on the gas, then the locker engages with a bang and your differential pukes parts out through new holes in the cover.

g80 aka gov-loc aka gov-bomb

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
jham said:
Wow at least you weren't in a yard on went grass with a 2wd. Makes me glad I just did my G80 swap

Been there, done that, sold the truck.:cool:

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
That happens to EVERYBODY without a G80 at one point. The danger is getting on the gas, then the locker engages with a bang and your differential pukes parts out through new holes in the cover.

I know, but it is still frustrating and embarrassing. I'm just glad that I wasn't the only one on the ice so I didn't feel quite so foolish - though it sucks for the guy who was behind me. He got moving too however.

I still wonder about getting that Powertrax no-slip locker unit and popping that in my open carrier at some point. More durable than a G80 and stupid easy to install. I would just have to be a little more careful making turns in slippery conditions.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
the roadie said:

You really know how to turn a phrase. :thumbsup:

I have 4x4 and the G80, but I still maintain if I had to chose just one, I'd get the G80.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Sparky said:
I still wonder about getting that Powertrax no-slip locker unit and popping that in my open carrier at some point. More durable than a G80 and stupid easy to install.

If you dont have the 8.6 rear, then this wont work.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
Ice has no forgiveness. This can still happen with the G80 and 4HI engaged. I know, its happened to me. All it takes is an intersection completely covered in nice slick black ice. I don't consider it embarrassing because it doesn't matter what you are driving at that point, everybody is hosed. But I still would rather have the G80 than not have it.

Sit N Spin!
View attachment 17183

Attachments

• sitnspin.jpg
    sitnspin.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 78

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Sparky said:
I still wonder about getting that Powertrax no-slip locker unit and popping that in my open carrier at some point. More durable than a G80 and stupid easy to install.

If you dont have the 8.6 rear, then this wont work.

I do. When I replaced the axle I upgraded to the 8.6.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
04envoyxlv8

Members Online