Electrical type question

Matt

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
I have to buy another pair of load resistors because mine have been exposed to the nasties of NE Ohio weather.

I was wondering if heat shrink would work in protecting them better or would it just melt or burn off due to the heat the resistors put off?

Thanks,

Matt

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Heat shrink is usually good for anything under 180 F, just barely able to touch it without burning your finger. If your resistors are hotter, you need them mounted in air not touching other things. Make sure the heat shrink doesn't make the problem worse by TRAPPING salty water next to the resistor.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
if you are talking about the heat sink part, no don't heat shrink that, it needs to be exposed. if the heat sink is corroded, who cares, as long as the contacts are good you are ok. I would solder new wire to the contacts, then paint the exposed surfaces with some "Liquid Electrical Tape" but leave the heat sink part clean

Matt

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
Thank you gentlemen! The heat sink on mine has split because of corrosion and I'm guessing the inside is looking pretty ordinary, plus I'm getting hyper flash again. They lasted quite a few years, but the salt finally got to them.

I think I might mount them in the engine bay instead of behind the tail lights to avoid the problem next time.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online