electrical problems

hitman

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Ok so I had the symptoms of a dirty throttle body and i took everything off and it was def dirty, cleaned it all up and installed it i had the battery unhooked the whole time, it started with another issue tonight, i started it up earlier today and the heater was on, the interior lights started flashing, dash lights guage lights and the heater shut right off, flickering and blinking, does it when i engage awd too.
i just spent 700 buck the other day on a new alt new belt and new tensioner, the reason that i did the throttle body was because when i had the heater on last week, and the rpms would drop below 400 then back up to normal then a few seconds later did the same thing soon as i shut the heater off and problem solved...
This truck is beginning too be too much, this is my 3rd chev truck all under 200,0000 kms and they were all garbage this one seems to be going down the same road...would love to put 500 kms with out something going wrong with it...
Any input would be great
Thank you
Tom

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
hitman said:
Ok so I had the symptoms of a dirty throttle body and i took everything off and it was def dirty, cleaned it all up and installed it i had the battery unhooked the whole time, it started with another issue tonight, i started it up earlier today and the heater was on, the interior lights started flashing, dash lights guage lights and the heater shut right off, flickering and blinking, does it when i engage awd too.
i just spent 700 buck the other day on a new alt new belt and new tensioner, the reason that i did the throttle body was because when i had the heater on last week, and the rpms would drop below 400 then back up to normal then a few seconds later did the same thing soon as i shut the heater off and problem solved...
This truck is beginning too be too much, this is my 3rd chev truck all under 200,0000 kms and they were all garbage this one seems to be going down the same road...would love to put 500 kms with out something going wrong with it...
Any input would be great
Thank you
Tom

I'm willing to bet when you reattached the battery cable, it wasn't seated 100% and it's wiggled loose causing your issues. I had the same thing happen when I used an extended battery bolt (it was too long and wouldn't screw in completely)

hitman

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
the roadie said:
Check the dash/instrument panel area master ground splice pack G201:

Converted_file_d03c47d4.jpg

Thanks Roadie where would i find that looks like its beside one of the seats, another thing that happend is today i went out and the shifter was locked up, wouldent let me put the vehicle in gear, and the light with the 4 wheels and a wrench came up...and when it flickers i can hear a clicking sound

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Bottom of the central dash radio stack, passenger side. With the trim panel (Envoy is different than TB, perhaps) removed.

You may have a flaky ignition switch also, or perhaps one of your battery cables isn't fastened well.

hitman

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
the roadie said:
Bottom of the central dash radio stack, passenger side. With the trim panel (Envoy is different than TB, perhaps) removed.

You may have a flaky ignition switch also, or perhaps one of your battery cables isn't fastened well.

thanks ill look into that tomorrow i dont think it would be the battery it was doing it before i took the battery off for the cleaning and was doing it afterwards, im going to have a look aat the alternator
and see if im getting a good connection there too

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
hitman said:
Any input would be great
Thank you
Tom

hitman said:
thanks ill look into that tomorrow i dont think it would be the battery it was doing it before i took the battery off for the cleaning and was doing it afterwards, im going to have a look aat the alternator
and see if im getting a good connection there too

:confused:

hitman

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Wooluf1952 said:

Sorry about the confusion....was getting tired and was still kinda fuming, yesterday morning i left for work started and worked great got a few mins up the road and wasn't feeling well so i turned around and took a short cut home to of witch i had to engage awd got home parked the car, couple hours later i was feeling better so figured i would trek out and get half a day in, went to start the car and it was flashing the 4 wheels with a wrench light and the shifter was locked up...played with it for a few mins and hot it to work drove into work no issues went to leave work and noticed when i turned the heater on the lights were blinking, going out coming back on shut the heater off no issues seemed to do this for a few mins almost till the vehicle was at operating temps then had no issues came home put it in the garage and proceeded to change the air filter and clean the throttle body and it was dirty, got everything cleaned and fired it up...had the battery off the whole time i cleaned the throttle body....started it up and did the same thing lights flashing etc etc till it seemed to warm upView attachment 18223 before and after cleaning

Ok so i go out this morning and the stupid thing is locked up again i cannot shift it into gear and the light with the chassis and the wrench is coming up now i cant even get the key out of the ignition and its stuck in awd???
And now my lights arent working at all no heater im getting all kinds of lights coming up on the dash omg this friggen truck

Attachments

• photo (4).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 138
  • photo (6).JPG
    photo (6).JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 139
  • photo (5).JPG
    photo (5).JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 139

hitman

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
the roadie said:
So pull out your meter and see what you're getting right now at the battery and the front fuse block terminals. Inspect the ground wiring to the fender as well.

Thanks for all the help guys i just ended up taking it to the shop, i like working on my own stuff but i dont have a garage and working outside here in the winter can be a pain at the best of times appreciate all the help and will keep posted on what the problem or problems ended up being
Tom

hitman

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Well guys thanks for all the help i took it to the shop and the problem was a backed off ground in my dash somewhere. and the sylonoid in my shifter was broken so got it replaced.
Thanks again for all your help

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Thanks for the report, and sorry you had to take it somewhere. Any chance you can ask him if it was the ground splice pack I suspected? There really isn't another major ground in there that I recall. And almost nothing else can cause the collection of symptoms you had.

hitman

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
the roadie said:
Thanks for the report, and sorry you had to take it somewhere. Any chance you can ask him if it was the ground splice pack I suspected? There really isn't another major ground in there that I recall. And almost nothing else can cause the collection of symptoms you had.
I think that was the culprit, i believe he mentioned the splice pack, i usually like doing my own work but at that point i was getting much to frustrated to do anymore myself. and shortly after i got it back i had a fire due to my transmission line blowing off and spewing trans fluid all over my exhaust, ended up having to get a new trans put in....soo from the date of my last post im out almost $3000 buck on it...still looks good though, could be worse cold have a ford badge on the front

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.