Electrical Failure? Truck is stuck at work right now....

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
The wife's 03 TB is at her office. The Key fob won't unlock the door and the key does nothing when you insert and turn it in the lock. It goes in and there is no resistance rotating right or left.

My only thought is main fuse blown. But that would mean even the door key is electronic on actuation.

we'll either need a auto lock out or a tow truck based on your answers.

Thanks in advance!

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Drove it home for lunch, no issues returning to work. Engine crank was fine, all normal. Got to work, normal key fob lock the doors; now nothing. :hissyfit:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Nothing, as in FOB and truck are both dead now, or just the FOB?

Sounds to me like the Ignition switch may have crapped out, or the BCM.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
A change in the MECHANICAL resistance when turning the key sure makes it sound like the ignition switch gear guts have flaked out on you.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
sounds like the problem is in the door lock, not the ignition?

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Great time to find out the door lock guts are non-existent. Drove back with a BP cup, coat hanger, personal protection (rough place at night), jumper cables, fuses... everything that could possibly be... oh, and the original fob + the extra new key fob suited to remote start.

Turns out, her key fob battery was not strong enough to get the signal to the receiver; LED said it was working. Drove up, hit the unlock on the original fob and lights flickered and doors unlocked! Peace of cake. Wife was so relieved. Me, too..

New item to ensure is always in her purse: spare key fob.

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Regarding the guts in the door lock....

At first I feel not to worry about fixing, but what if.... all key fobs don't work? then, we're back to the expanding bladder to pry the door to get at the lock.....

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
it sounds like the only thing that is missing is the rod that connects the cylinder to the latch. it may be in there and not connected. a trip to your local junkyard should get you straightened out

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Robbabob said:
Regarding the guts in the door lock....

At first I feel not to worry about fixing, but what if.... all key fobs don't work? then, we're back to the expanding bladder to pry the door to get at the lock.....

Good idea to fix it. My key fobs stopped working when the black and orange wires broke in the liftgate rubber boot. These broken wires in the rubber boot are a common failure.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
here is a diagram of the latch/lock for reference
View attachment 26766

the roadie said:
Sorry I didn't realize you were talking about the door lock. Why couldn't you unlock the liftgate with the key and crawl in? Did GM delete that feature later?
where does the key go?
IMAG0263.jpg

Attachments

• 131322932.jpg
    131322932.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 11

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
the roadie said:
Sorry I didn't realize you were talking about the door lock. Why couldn't you unlock the liftgate with the key and crawl in? Did GM delete that feature later?

Not sure how i missed these posts.

I'll check on the rear key entry possibility when wife gets home from work.
edit: okay, nm,,, it's not there.

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
jimmyjam said:
here is a diagram of the latch/lock for reference.

I will check this out as soon as I read up on removing the door panel....

Thank you!

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
jimmyjam said:
here is a diagram of the latch/lock for reference.

Watch video of removing door panel.... free

Harbor freight for non-marring pry tools $3.99

Look on wife's face when I tell her it's fixed: PRICELESS

Remove panel, peel back the membrane and find the mechanism.

Saw where the arm was supposed to be attached, found the arm and figured out how it was supposed to attached.

Connect and test.... yup, fixed!

Maybe 30 minutes total (included time to open the pry tool set, LOL)

Love it when a plan comes together! Thanks to this site and all the forum members!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memoremix

Members Online