Dummy check gauges light on and engine temperature gauge stopped working

am-radio

Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
The dash gauge is showing the engine as cold. The scangauge shows the engine hot. I don't know if there are codes yet, as my wife has it.

Very weird that it only happens if you plug it in and its warm outside. Has to be about -15 Celsius outside or this problem happens.

am-radio

Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
Can you explain the chart to me in basic terms. A bit confusing for me.

am-radio

Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
The wife got home and the truck still had the engine light on, and the temperature gauge was on cold. Tried starting again and was tough to start. I had P0116. Cleared the code and the truck started perfect and the temperature worked and the engine light went out.

After googling this problem is very common. Something to with meeting emission bullshit on cold engine start ups. So I have to make sure it's colder than -17 Celsius (1 F) outside, or don't plug in and torture my engine.

am-radio

Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
Just updating my old thread for anyone that wants to know what happened and why? My truck starts and runs terrible and throws the CEL if I plug the block heater in if it's warmer than -18 Celsius or 0 F. (If it's colder out and warms up to -18 Celsius the same thing happens. It compares outside temperature sensor at the time you start the truck). My block heater cord does not have the built in thermostat. I've proven this over and over. I have a scangauge always tied into my OBDII. If I get the code, I just clear it and all is good. If I plug in the block heater when it's colder than -18 C, no problems. If I don't plug the block heater in at any temperature, I never have an issue (besides the noises of starting a cold truck).

I'm wondering if I change my block heater cord to the new style with the "hump" and built in temperature sensor, if my problem will go away?

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
am-radio said:
Just updating my old thread for anyone that wants to know what happened and why? My truck starts and runs terrible and throws the CEL if I plug the block heater in if it's warmer than -18 Celsius or 0 F. (If it's colder out and warms up to -18 Celsius the same thing happens. It compares outside temperature sensor at the time you start the truck). My block heater cord does not have the built in thermostat. I've proven this over and over. I have a scangauge always tied into my OBDII. If I get the code, I just clear it and all is good. If I plug in the block heater when it's colder than -18 C, no problems. If I don't plug the block heater in at any temperature, I never have an issue (besides the noises of starting a cold truck).

I'm wondering if I change my block heater cord to the new style with the "hump" and built in temperature sensor, if my problem will go away?

That might be worth doing. Looks to me like your block heater is working, at least, but still it does get annoying to keep clearing the codes, eh?

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
Bumping an old thread to say 'thanks' for posting. Had this happen today. Likely had the ECT sensor replaced for no reason. At least it was not expensive. :/ Now I know...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe102938

Members Online