Driver's Express Down Window feature does not work

strat81

Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
When I purchased my Rainier two years ago, the memory seats did not function. A dealer replaced the memory module and the entire control assembly on the driver's door (windows, locks, seat heaters, memory) under the Carmax 30-day warranty.

Since then, I don't recall ever having the express-down feature working. Yes, I am pressing the button completely past the "notch" in the switch.

Is this something that needs to be programmed? Can I do it myself? The window otherwise works fine, as do all of the other controls.

The work was done two years ago and I doubt the dealer will fix it under warranty. It's my own fault for not inspecting the work completely when it was done and for not bringing the vehicle to the dealer as soon as I noticed the problem.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I think the feature is self-contained in the driver's door module, but that's the sort of thing I've never seen reported in six years of being on the forums. Whatever the failure is, only a dealer with a Tech II scan tool can reprogram anything. It may even be a BCM option. I'd try swapping the DDM with another local owner and see if the problem follows the module. I'm sure the feature isn't worth as much to you as a dealer would charge to fix it.

strat81

Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
the roadie said:
I think the feature is self-contained in the driver's door module, but that's the sort of thing I've never seen reported in six years of being on the forums. Whatever the failure is, only a dealer with a Tech II scan tool can reprogram anything. It may even be a BCM option. I'd try swapping the DDM with another local owner and see if the problem follows the module. I'm sure the feature isn't worth as much to you as a dealer would charge to fix it.

That's very true.

I have the old door module around somewhere, maybe I'll swap that out, see what happens.

strat81

Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
Swapped out the control module - the original problem manifested itself: no memory seat function with button 2. However, the express down worked.

Luckily, the module has two main parts - the memory seat buttons and everything else. I swapped out the faulty memory seat buttons for the good ones and now everything works. w00t!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Woot, indeed! I was just guessing, but now we all know for certain! Thanks. The Express-Down feature is built into the logic of the DDM and doesn't depend on communication to the BCM to run. Or to fail. :wink:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Interesting thread.. I lost the Express Down feature just for my front passanger window from my DDM.. Still works on the PDM... and the drivers window express function still works.. maybe justa glitch on the board? Or button?

Jayman

Mar 4, 2012
Took in my Denali this morning due to burnt out back lights in the driver door switch panel. Dealer said they have to order the part then "program" the switch. Who knew?
My guess is it wasn't done initially.

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
The only time I had problems with my express down feature was when I removed my door panels to upgrade the speakers and run wires through the door for them. When I did the front doors I had express down for the drivers side but not the passenger side. I fixed it by keeping the passenger switch assembly connected and then unplugging all the wires from the drivers side module and putting them back in and it came back to work just fine. I think mine was just a glitch with connecting the passenger side without the drivers side hooked up because the drivers connection is what controls the other windows too and without it the other windows wouldn't work right. At least thats how I found out about it when I was playing with it in mine.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph5432

Members Online