drive train components

davids_1718

Original poster
Jun 3, 2013
Hello everyone during my drive home from NY - PA my 2003 Trailblazer LT EXT died on me. While my drive home I couldn't accelerate over 30 mph. I was able to pull off the rd and get towed home, but I'm trying to figure out whats happenning.

Once home being that I live in a community I drove around and noticed that going over 20 mph on either Drive or 3 the truck revs but no movement.

For the last 2 weeks I've been noticing a kind of rumbling/vibration throughout the entire SUV going over 55mph.

davids_1718

Original poster
Jun 3, 2013
Just started the truck and went a few blocks to test and seems like I can't do more than 20mph on Drive or 3rd. The truck did accelerate on 2nd just fine. Noticed that while going downhill it decelerated a little rough but non the less I didn't feel any slipping or knocking. It seems like the rpms will just rev but no acceleration what's so ever on D or 3 as mentioned earlier.

I lifted the truck and to no avail a treat to my surprise. I have a bad leak and can't tell if its the diff or transfer case.

The truck is on 4awd and the wheels all spin.

From looking underneath the drivers side and the whole rear of the diff looks really wet but it looks like the drivers side of the transfer case as well. Due to sludge build up couldn't see the color of the fluid. I also noticed a little leak by the rear half shaft (I think that's what its called). No visual leaks from the tranny what's so ever.

Attachments

• IMG_20130905_153137.jpg
    IMG_20130905_153137.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20130905_153148.jpg
    IMG_20130905_153148.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20130905_153245.jpg
    IMG_20130905_153245.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20130905_153221.jpg
    IMG_20130905_153221.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 1

dfc739

Jul 29, 2012
Des Moines, IA
davids_1718 said:
Just started the truck and went a few blocks to test and seems like I can't do more than 20mph on Drive or 3rd. The truck did accelerate on 2nd just fine. Noticed that while going downhill it decelerated a little rough but non the less I didn't feel any slipping or knocking. It seems like the rpms will just rev but no acceleration what's so ever on D or 3 as mentioned earlier.

I lifted the truck and to no avail a treat to my surprise. I have a bad leak and can't tell if its the diff or transfer case.

The truck is on 4awd and the wheels all spin.

From looking underneath the drivers side and the whole rear of the diff looks really wet but it looks like the drivers side of the transfer case as well. Due to sludge build up couldn't see the color of the fluid. I also noticed a little leak by the rear half shaft (I think that's what its called). No visual leaks from the tranny what's so ever.

You said you didn't feel any slipping or knocking, yet by your own words you are experiencing slipping. Slipping is when you have it in gear and the clutch either doesn't engage or has been burned up so that the two surfaces do not have enough friction to "catch" each other. So essentially you can push on the gas and the engine revs but none of the power is applied to the wheels.

The first thing I would have done if I experienced transmission problems is check the fluid level. You never said you did it. When did you last have it serviced? How does the fluid look? If I had to venture a guess based on the information I have, I would say your leak is transmission fluid and you roasted your 3-4 clutches due to low fluid. Burning up these clutches is a common problem. Take it to a trusted transmission shop but get ready to pay for a rebuild.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kraymates

Members Online