Dome Light Tap??

STLtrailbSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I put some 24 SMD leds in my foot-well in place of my old blues and I had originally ran them to a switch but now I just wanted to add them to the Dome light circuit anyone know A + Wire I can tap to get these to work on the same circuit as the domes? Or does anyone have a diagram but All I really need to know is the color and what harness its running from, nothing too in depth. Hopefully someone has already tackled this one

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
It's a gray wire with black stripe, and I haven't tapped into it myself, but the shop manual implies it goes up to the headliner area by way of the driver's side B pillar. IIRC, a post on the OS said he had found it running up the A pillar instead. It comes from the rear fuse block in any event, so the B pillar makes a bit more sense.

STLtrailbSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Roadie Saves The Day Again, Well once the sun gets up and this 28 Degree weather decides to warm up a bit I will get on it.

MrDJ

Dec 4, 2011
Waxahachie, TX
Which wire in the overhead console is a constant +12v (to power the tap on dome light) and which one is ground? I plan to put a switch up there and I want to use those wires to power the switch which will go to a relay.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I can check the schematics after work, but if you're pulling the console off tonight, just check with your meter. Ground is almost always black, and the lamp hot wire should be obvious by its connection to the lamp socket.

Which console do you have? What features are in it, in other words?

MrDJ

Dec 4, 2011
Waxahachie, TX
Here is a picture of my console with the switches installed. They are not yet wired up...
View attachment 17554

After looking at the 07 wiring diagram, I see a gray/black wire, an orange wire, and the black ground wire. IIRC, the gray/black wire is the courtesy lights, which means the orange wire is for the reading lights. When I trace the orange wire in the diagram, it says "lamp supply." The gray/black wire is "lamp control."

Is the orange wire the correct one to tap into to power these switches?

Attachments

• Console 1_800x598.JPG
    Console 1_800x598.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 6

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
MrDJ said:
Here is a picture of my console with the switches installed. They are not yet wired up...

After looking at the 07 wiring diagram, I see a gray/black wire, an orange wire, and the black ground wire. IIRC, the gray/black wire is the courtesy lights, which means the orange wire is for the reading lights. When I trace the orange wire in the diagram, it says "lamp supply." The gray/black wire is "lamp control."

Is the orange wire the correct one to tap into to power these switches?

Yes, the orange wire is the one you want to tap for your switches.

MrDJ

Dec 4, 2011
Waxahachie, TX
Does the orange wire turn on and off with accessory, or is it always on?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
It's always hot. I added the Homelink and Memo modules to my overhead console, the orange wire is used to power them both. Also, this is how your dome lights come on when the door is opened, but the key is off :twocents:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online