Does anyone have one of these?

Marty395

Original poster
Feb 23, 2012
Hello nation,

I'm looking to purchase a random orbiting buffer, this one looks cheap but I was still curious if anyone has used one. Any info is appreciated. I really want a porter buffer, I just want to get a buffer so I can really get my detailing business going! View attachment 19272

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330888066.709727.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330888066.709727.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 166

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
How much is that buffer? You can get a refurbished porter for about $125

[EBAY]330679781390[/EBAY]

jayd1563

Nov 18, 2011
That Porter Cable 7424 ia frickin awesome,,,its dual action and adjustable 6 speeds..I have one and i know of 4 others that have it.....we all love it...I bought mine from home depot.
How expierienced are you with buffers??if your a noob its almost manditory that you get a buffer thats dual action..if you dont you could do more damage than good. The last thing you wanna do just starting out a detailing business is get a bad rep.
Get the Porter,the white,yellow,black,and blue pads with random cutting strength buffing compounds and your good to go!

ChriSS K

Jan 3, 2012
smitty5150 said:
Save for the porter cable. If you cant afford to drop $150 on a vital business tool, you probably arent in a postion to start a business just yet.

This!

Marty395

Original poster
Feb 23, 2012
Well, this thing cost $150. I was going to get this one to practice with. Now that I know they could be had for so cheap the obvious decision is to buy the porter. I've been detailing during the summers as a side gig. Once I'm confident in my ability I will focus more of my time into detailing. But for now it's more like a hobby I get paid to do.

Marty395

Original poster
Feb 23, 2012
jayd1563 said:
That Porter Cable 7424 ia frickin awesome,,,its dual action and adjustable 6 speeds..I have one and i know of 4 others that have it.....we all love it...I bought mine from home depot.
How expierienced are you with buffers??if your a noob its almost manditory that you get a buffer thats dual action..if you dont you could do more damage than good. The last thing you wanna do just starting out a detailing business is get a bad rep.
Get the Porter,the white,yellow,black,and blue pads with random cutting strength buffing compounds and your good to go!

I've done some research on buffing which is why I want the porter, I've done some buffing but not enough to take on a customers ride. That's why I do not offer buffing, yet :smile: ! Thanks for the tips. Hope that Lancer is working out for you bud.

jayd1563

Nov 18, 2011
Marty395 said:
I've done some research on buffing which is why I want the porter, I've done some buffing but not enough to take on a customers ride. That's why I do not offer buffing, yet :smile: ! Thanks for the tips. Hope that Lancer is working out for you bud.
this is gonna sound crazy but my sisters husband got a job detailing at the bmw stealership in milwaukee,,,to make sure he wouldnt frick anything up they actually had a scrap fender and hood for him to pratice high speed buffing on....he would dry them off with rough shitty towels to put swirl marks on them,,then practice buffing them out....just and idea,,,you can get a hood or fender off anything at your local scrap yard.....and thank you,,i think the Lancer is gonna be a fun car to play around with.

Marty395

Original poster
Feb 23, 2012
jayd1563 said:
this is gonna sound crazy but my sisters husband got a job detailing at the bmw stealership in milwaukee,,,to make sure he wouldnt frick anything up they actually had a scrap fender and hood for him to pratice high speed buffing on....he would dry them off with rough shitty towels to put swirl marks on them,,then practice buffing them out....just and idea,,,you can get a hood or fender off anything at your local scrap yard.....and thank you,,i think the Lancer is gonna be a fun car to play around with.

I've heard of practicing on scraps, I'm gonna have to try it. I'm gonna pick up the porter cable. Does anyone have any suggestions on products. I'm gonna start with Meguiars ultimate compound then work my way up to the good stuff. I've heard some good reviews on 3m products.

I found this

6 in. Variable Speed Random Orbit Polisher-7424XP at The Home Depot

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
Marty395 said:
I've heard of practicing on scraps, I'm gonna have to try it. I'm gonna pick up the porter cable. Does anyone have any suggestions on products. I'm gonna start with Meguiars ultimate compound then work my way up to the good stuff. I've heard some good reviews on 3m products.

I found this

6 in. Variable Speed Random Orbit Polisher-7424XP at The Home Depot

Porter Cable Polisher, Porter Cable Polishing Pads and Polish

[video=youtube;YE8P2DhP_TE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE8P2DhP_TE&feature=player_embedded[/video]

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
Old thread but wanted to chime in. My two cents, there's always better polishers and better products. Purchase a good polisher, choose a line of pads and get a selection. Last choose a good line of polish. Then comes the most important part..........practice! Get to really know your equipment and products and stick with them. Get to know what your capabilities are. I use to detail years ago and watched guys destroy paint because they spent more time jumping from product to product and changing equipment. Paint differs so much from vehicle to vehicle that you need to control as many variables as you can if you plan to do good high speed polishing. When I would switch jobs from something like north American paint to Germany paint it would take me a panel just to get use to the correct cutting speeds. Throw in an OEM paint job with one repainted panel and there's too much going on to be fighting with your own gear. My 2 cents.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online