Do 4x4's need 'exercise' ?

SpeedUp

Original poster
Apr 15, 2017
McKinney, TX
My 2008 TB LS 4.2 is my first 4x4. Is there anything I need to do on a regular basis to keep parts lubricated?

I've changed the ATF, transfer case, and differential fluids. I have used 4x4 twice now. Once when I bought it to made sure it worked, and once when I changed the transfer case fluid.

I just keep it in 2hi all the time. What do you guys do ?

Thanks!

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
IMHO yes... I've always made a point of engaging a 4x4 every once in awhile just to keep anything from getting tied up... idk that you really have to... im kinda OCD like that though... can't hurt anything to do it...

Last edited:
Reactions: Redbeard

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
I usually turn the switch to each setting a few times with the truck off, helps keep the contacts clean and free of corrosion and the like. Not sure if it does anything, but if I'm going to be out all day doing mostly highway driving, I'll run it in A4WD once in a while.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Needs to only be on dirt/gravel tho right ?
Not necessarily no... can flip to 4x4 (4Hi) anytime...4Lo obviously you want to be going slow.. just sharp turns on pavement will bind up.. just basically trying to keep the moving parts moveable is all I try to do... get the lube warm and splashing around good

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
I say yes to exercise the 4wd components every so often to keep electrical contact free of corrosion and to keep greased parts moving to distribute lubrication.

When i go fishing i normally exercise the 4wd on the gravel/dirt roads and mud trails. Having street tires, at the moment, im surprised at what they have went through. At one point i was sucked in two different mud ruts, crab walking, dragging the bottom of the suv with no traction problems. The tires do have the "M+S" mud and snow rating on the side wall but they are a street tire. Goodyear assurance fuel max tires.

Ilikemy3s

Dec 3, 2011
I have a 05 Trailblazer, and the first Monday of the month that I arrive at my office, when I pull into the parking garage, i flip it into AWD (I arrive about 5:30 so there aren't any other vehicles in yet. ) I will also find a straight run in on a ramp with no cars yet parked, put it in Neutral and flip to 4Lo. Just go a few yards forward and back, stop and put it into 4Hi. go a few yards forward and back. Then back into AWD then back to 2Hi. All the while listening for the hub actuators to ensure they are working. And yes, I also change the transfer case and both axle fluids. Never has a problem yet and I put 50k of the 130k on teh odometer. I did the same thing with my 04 Envoy that had 250k on the clock Like others here mentioned .. keep the contacts and mechanical parts working and freed up.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online