DJM kit Drop vibration HELP!

Diezelbonez

Original poster
Member
Mar 10, 2013
35
Hey guys ok,

I just lowered my TB with the DJM suspension kit about a week and a half ago. Every since then i have a humming vibration noise only at speeds 75 + from the front passenger tire. Almost sounded like my hub was going out. So got a new hub replaced it and still there. The back wall of the tire has some waviness to it 4K on the tire, but two tire shops said the tire is fine. Never been flat its balanced and alligned. I am kinda out of ideas now dont know what else to do but its driving me insane that i cant figure it out. Any ideas or anyone have this using the DJM suspension kit?? Stock springs and shocks just the kit was bolted on and stock rims and tires.
 

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Member
Nov 19, 2011
9,957
Portland, OR
2 or 4WD?
 

yodaddy4200

Member
Feb 3, 2013
350
Unless you got your kit from norcal ss. Your balljoints are probably gonna be toast soon if not already. So ive read
 

Diezelbonez

Original poster
Member
Mar 10, 2013
35
yodaddy4200 said:
Unless you got your kit from norcal ss. Your balljoints are probably gonna be toast soon if not already. So ive read

why is that? whats wrong with the kit? do i need to adjust something?
 

tokahao

Member
Dec 9, 2011
79
I just did mine a fortnight ago and noticed a hum as well. I attributed it to the voy being closer to the ground and believe it's the sound coming from the engine, wheel noise, transfer case, etc resonating off the ground. Got a little better after the alignment so I'm feeling better now... but want one of those cool Timken wheel hubs everyone's been raving about :undecided:

Good luck with finding your issue.
 

yodaddy4200

Member
Feb 3, 2013
350
With out his modified A arms the angle of your balljoint is probably severe. Norcal SS or Tony is very knowledgeable guy and runs Tbssowners.com I dont even know if a balljoint will cause vibration im just a noob brainstorming some!!

Search the lowered threads and youll find what im talking about but like i said im just throwing you some ideas bro!!
 

Diezelbonez

Original poster
Member
Mar 10, 2013
35
yodaddy4200 said:
With out his modified A arms the angle of your balljoint is probably severe. Norcal SS or Tony is very knowledgeable guy and runs Tbssowners.com I dont even know if a balljoint will cause vibration im just a noob brainstorming some!!

Search the lowered threads and youll find what im talking about but like i said im just throwing you some ideas bro!!

Ok, well everything aligned and its only on one side, if it was the kit i would suspect that both front sides would be doing the same thing. Just weird that i have this tire that is the only one with the inside wall wave and it is coming from that side.

I did the research on those modified A arms and it looks like if you are going to replace the springs or struts with lowered ones with the DJM kit to make the front even LOWER then you have to get his modified arms do to the truck being soooo low the A arms hits the top of the fender. But im leaving the stock springs and stuts its low enough in the front and doesnt hit anything. Thats from what i go looking at some posts about it.

There isnt really anything else that moves at 75 mph that would start to hum or make that noise besides the hub and tire so I just dont know. Hub is new sooooo....The tire place said its Tire Unduation but it doesnt look like that to me honestly. Ill take pics tomorrow.
 

ScarabEpic22

Member
Nov 20, 2011
728
What DJM kit did you get? As in, what parts for the front did it come with? The "factory DJM" kit is a set of their upper a-arms (not modified like Tony's, the better ones) and a set of lower mounts to raise the lower control arm in relation to the spring/shock combo. If you just used drop springs up front, you will really need the a-arms if you drop it more than 1.3-1.5".
 

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
14,955
North Las Vegas
If you think it is the tire maybe you should try moving the tire to the rear and see if it follows it. If the sound doesn't follow it then move it back. Then hopefully that will put your mind to rest about the tire.
 

Diezelbonez

Original poster
Member
Mar 10, 2013
35
ScarabEpic22 said:
What DJM kit did you get? As in, what parts for the front did it come with? The "factory DJM" kit is a set of their upper a-arms (not modified like Tony's, the better ones) and a set of lower mounts to raise the lower control arm in relation to the spring/shock combo. If you just used drop springs up front, you will really need the a-arms if you drop it more than 1.3-1.5".

got the whole kit a arms and lower strut mount in the front and the springs in the back. nothing bumps or hits, the truck even has a smoother ride i think (a little stiffer) but smooth at higher speeds not so much play from the suspension.
 

Diezelbonez

Original poster
Member
Mar 10, 2013
35
djthumper said:
If you think it is the tire maybe you should try moving the tire to the rear and see if it follows it. If the sound doesn't follow it then move it back. Then hopefully that will put your mind to rest about the tire.

Yea that is what im going to do tomorrow. If it doesnt still happen upfront then i know its the tire. Just wanted to come on here and see if anyone might have had some issues with the DJM kit that are similar to see maybe if I was missing something. But with that do i contact the tire company (Continental) myself to get a warranty replacement?
 

jrSS

Member
Dec 4, 2011
3,950
Diezelbonez said:
got the whole kit a arms and lower strut mount in the front and the springs in the back. nothing bumps or hits, the truck even has a smoother ride i think (a little stiffer) but smooth at higher speeds not so much play from the suspension.

U need the notched upper arms. Otherwise you could be cruising the highway and hit a bump and your upper a arm hits the spindle which breaks off the balljoint which you loose control and.....yea u get what happens.
 

Diezelbonez

Original poster
Member
Mar 10, 2013
35
jrSS said:
U need the notched upper arms. Otherwise you could be cruising the highway and hit a bump and your upper a arm hits the spindle which breaks off the balljoint which you loose control and.....yea u get what happens.



From everything i read about the Arms you only need the modified ones if your going to run lowered springs struts or coilovers with the DJM kit. if your leaving everything stock except the DJM kit then your ok to run DJM arms unmodified. ive bottomed my out going over some speed humps and i havent even scratched the arms on anything, not the fender nor any suspension parts. Ive tried lol.

Correct me if im wrong....but thats what i got from reading.
 

jrSS

Member
Dec 4, 2011
3,950
How low are you sitting ground to fender lip?? I am sittin at 30.5" with 255 50 20 tires.
 

jrSS

Member
Dec 4, 2011
3,950
Post a pic...
And did u change both wheel bearings? (The lower u go the harder it is on the wheel bearings especially 4wd and AWD guys.)
 

jrSS

Member
Dec 4, 2011
3,950
Post a pic...
And did u change both wheel bearings? (The lower u go the harder it is on the wheel bearings especially 4wd and AWD guys.)
 

Boricua SS

Member
Nov 20, 2011
3,080
Ohio
Diezelbonez said:
30.5 in the front both sides are exactly the same.

Sitting that low, you need the modified a arms.. your upper ball joint angle is way outta whack that low...
 

Boricua SS

Member
Nov 20, 2011
3,080
Ohio
i know.. that's why I said the modified ones lol... regular a arms don't correct the angle like the modified...
 

jrSS

Member
Dec 4, 2011
3,950
Boricua SS said:
i know.. that's why I said the modified ones lol... regular a arms don't correct the angle like the modified...

He has the djm arms....just not the ones that are notched for the spindle. The ones that he has does fix the alignment and ball joint angle...BUT if he ever hits a huge bump with the non notched djm arms ...it could crack the spindle and causing the balljoint to snap.
 

NORCAL SS

Member
Dec 4, 2011
165
give it time it will hit and when it does good luck.

in front my version also uses a different upper mount and no loose balljoint issues like the non notched version and now my kit uses new washers the ones that djm was using many cases were oval so I addressed that.


Please make sure to listen for the arms if they do hit I can modify the arms and also go thru the upper balljoint to check if its tight. Ive been doing a lot of the "non modified" arms and even when the upper bolt was tigtened the balljoint moved around so I modify that also since I have a new oem balljoint here and check each arm before it leaves in that area also.

Balljoint area might be loose also on that side so causes play which will lead to vibration.
 

tricguy007

Member
Dec 7, 2011
131
Are u sure its not a body panel or plastic fender well making noise, I had a noise on the LF of mine only 70mph and above found that it was my cowel vibrating on the windshield so i adheared it to the windshield no more noise
 

NORCAL SS

Member
Dec 4, 2011
165
also make sure upper inner a arm bolt on the tower didnt snap off
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,392
Posts
638,779
Members
18,601
Latest member
Chris Moore

Members Online