disassemble monroe quick strut

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I'm certain you're the first to ask. You could be the pathfinder. Very good measurement of the shock part and its spring mounting shoulder are going to be needed.

Reactions: smt 59

smt 59

Original poster
I have been told by a suspension supplier that I can do this but was wondering if it has been attempted by anyone here. I will be going ahead with this project in the near future with just a couple more phone calls for measurements, specs,etc., the worst thing is I would require additional parts.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I have only seen people put the Monroes in. I don't think I have heard of anyone rebuilding one.

smt 59

Original poster
Good morning, I will make an attempt and keep everyone posted as to the results, the concept is there now the practicality. :eek:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yes you can.

I did.

My truck had Monroe front shocks on it when I got it. I just assumed they were shocks only. Nah, they were quick struts and the previous owner pitched my original springs (no clue what these spring rates are). I reused the springs with my new Bilstein shocks. Worth saying that you probably won't be able to reuse the mount, in fact I recommend not even trying. Just get new mounts. If you end up being able to get it apart and reuse them then just return the new ones. But that almost never happens...

Reactions: smt 59

smt 59

Original poster
That's good to know, thank you. I completed my calls and got the step by step how to and with only 16k on the quick strut and the truck being oil sprayed I think everything will come apart fine, but just in case I will have the new mounts on hand. Also informed that the spring is likely made by federal mogal for Monroe. ???

smt 59

Original poster
Job complete, took the Monroe's apart and only reused the spring. Installed Bilstein all around and did an inch and 3/4 lift on the front to level, as it turns out it made it a 1/4 inch higher than the back. Placed the order for the rear lift parts today. The ride is great, what a difference.

Reactions: dmanns67

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mynamesjeff

Members Online