Digital legacy management using an on-line password safe

The_Roadie

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Could your loved ones access your on-line banking, brokerage, airline mile accounts, credit cards, insurance, forums and so forth in case YOU got hit by a stray meteorite? Are you the executor for somebody's estate, named as a co-signer, or joint owner of anything? Could they manage the cable internet account, Netflix, health insurance claims in process, and so forth? Do they know all the addresses in your email contact list are not all friends who SHOULD be notified in case of your incapacitation, but you have a few enemies in there who should NOT be notified?

We were discussing this at work the other day, and a solution many of us are using is to archive data in a KeePass data base, share the password with trusted friends/spouse, and then put the data base in a public shared Dropbox folder. I believe it's secure, and I'm pretty paranoid.

There are pay services that will shut down your on-line presence such as Facebook, but when you are involved in more complex things, you might want to consider this approach.

The sorts of records I keep in KeePass are in the following list. I also keep things like the security questions that might appear in a login challenge, in case it's something that my wife or daughter might not remember easily. It's also come in VERY handy a few times when my wife forgets a password and asks me. So store the data on HER technology as well.

Wifi administration: network names and passwords. Admin passwords. Home and work.
Forums, especially if you're a mod or admin.
Email, work and home
Contact list of folks to notify
Contact list of folks to NOT notify
Lawyers, accountants
Mortuary in case you have a pre-planned process they should follow
Banking, mortgage, personal, business
Travel web sites
Airline, hotel, and car rental accounts
Frequent flyer accounts (note: DO NOT NOTIFY ANY OF THEM OF YOUR DEATH. Delta now zeros out your account balance.)
Passport numbers and data
Hosting and domain registration accounts
Brokerages
Dropbox and cloud accounts and passwords
On-line media accounts, music, movies
Backup account passwords and location
Cell phones
Social media - LinkedIn, FB, Twitter, etc.
All other on-line stores
Computer, tablet, cell phone passwords and OS and App serial numbers
Credit card account numbers and how to notify them of loss or fraudulent use
Medical accounts of all sorts
All FTP and VPN accounts you have
Insurance: home, auto, trailers, riders, earthquake
Appliance model numbers and warranty end dates
Data on relatives you may be handling any affairs for
Government numbers - SSN and others
Other warranty data you might have - extended warranty accounts, contact numbers, dates
App data for downloaded apps - accounts, password
Subscriptions - on-line, print media

Additional categories and uses for it solicited.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
good advice.

remember that just because you are paranoid, it does not mean they are not out to get you.

just assume that any computer you use will at some point be had by folks who may or may not let you know they have access.

this means you should keep separate strong passwords for each account, and if possible use a dedicated device to access at least some of them.

I have a few coworkers who use a dedicated LINUX build for banking and nothing else.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online

No members online now.