Different sound/feel on take off from stop until it shifts.

phishisgr8

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Long time lurker, first time poster here. I searched for a good 15 minutes on this, but couldn't come up with my exact problem. I bought the truck with 53,725 miles on in in 7/2011. It now has 66,603 miles on it, and is a 4.2 I6 LT with 3.42 gears. A handwritten note on the owner manual, and on the air-box both say the trans fluid was changed at 44,571 miles.

My problem - Starting three weeks ago, when I start from a stop, there is a different "feel" to the car. The motor "whirs" louder than it used to. (My apologies, it's hard for me to explain exactly what it sounds like.) The motor gets a lot louder towards the top of the RPM range, obviously, then it shifts gears, an everything is back to normal. It's not a grinding sound, but I equate it to that, in that I know it sounds different, louder, more grumble-y, and leaves me with an uneasy feeling as it is happening. There may be a bit more vibration in the gas pedal, too, but I might be imaging that. If it would help, I can try and take some audio of the motor/drive-train. Adjectives I've used to describe this issue to people include: shudder; whir; roar; grumble; growl; grind.

It doesn't happen every time, and it doesn't care whether the truck is cold or warm, or whether it's been driven 0 miles from start or 30. It does happen probably 4 out of every 5 times I accelerate from a stop though. FWIW, this is the third winter I've had it for, but is the coldest.

Anyone with any ideas of what i can check, or what this could be? I'm not sure if this is motor or drive-train or transmission. I just know the experience scares me. Thanks!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memoremix

Members Online