NEED HELP Did I overheat the transmission or blow it up?

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
Did I overheat the transmission or blow it up? boy did I screw the pouch on this.

07 saab97x5.3i awd initialy I think the fronts didn't help then turned off traction control which helped move her.

I got the suv stuck good in wet mud.been jacking up stuffing 2x6 boards old carpet helped a bit.

w/ traction control off I was able to spin the rear wheel at 6K RMP to get it to move this after able to rock her back and forth. did this for about 3 minutes.

It’s still stuck but in a dryer spot.

the dash message was turn off engine or just turn off. Current message is ice road or ice.

Now the gear shift is physically stuck in park the most fordward position. trans. Is stuck in drive on dash unable to press in the gear shift button to shift into park or neutral.

Doe’s this sound like I blew the trans? Or packed mud on the linkage?

Additional message was low oil pro probably burned couple quarts w/ the 3 minutes of abuse.

Thanks for advice.

linneje

Apr 26, 2012
Weird. Can you take the key out of the ignition with the vehicle off? Which is correct - is it in "Drive" or in "Park"? That is, is the display correct, or the shifter?

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
yes can take key out ,shifter in park dash drive. thanks

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Can you start the engine again, after it's been shut off? If you can't, then my guess would be the cable had one of the plastic bushings break on you, and the cable is detached on one end or the other. I've had to replace both on mine, hopefully if that's your case, it's the one inside the cabin....

As for not being able to press the shifter button, when the key is on and you tap the brake pedal, do you hear/feel a click from the center console?

Reactions: Mooseman

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
no I can't start her. can't press the gear select button in.

"when the key is on and you tap the brake pedal, do you hear/feel a click from the center console" I thought the brake had to be held down when shifting out of park.

I don't recall hearing a click I will attempt again and listen still no click.

I'm not real familiar w/ the saab do you have images of these plastic cable bushings would help alot.
if in fact one of the plastic bushings is broken theoretically I could crawl under her remove cable and shift at the trans. by hand to neutrel shifting to D mite be tricky.

I was a little abusive hope it's not blown. thanks for advice

edit: I didn't observe any mud packed around the trans end of linkage appeared clean zero mud.

edit: the dash has ice conditions stuck on doe's the computer think it's on ice when I was spinning at redline RPM for 3 minutes. maybe ABS wheel speed sensor packed w/ mud/moisture.
edit3: yesterday the dash was stuck on icey conditions today it's cycles though low oil/wiper fuild then stops on check tire presure.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
If the trans linkage is clean underneath, could you push the lever forward from underneath to get the truck back into park? That should be a little more secure, and hopefully resolve the no start issue.

Yes, the brake has to be pressed to shift out of park. The brake switch only needs light contact to activate (this is what triggers the brake lights, and disengages cruise control), and also triggers the release for the gear shift, which can usually be heard with a click. Can someone tell you if the brake lights at least come on when the pedal is pressed? That will give you the direction to take your troubleshooting steps for that next.

linneje

Apr 26, 2012
If there is no "click" when pressing the brake pedal (and assuming the vehicle is on and in park) then the wires for the shift interlock have broken or frayed (they are under the boot/console on the right of the shifter). But if you are not in park, then that doesn't apply. I agree with blckshdw, the cable linkage may have broken with all the back and forth. You have a good chance that it is either of those problems, which would not be expensive to fix.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If the transmission is not in Park, more than likely the BCM is not allowing the shifter unlock solenoid to activate with the brake so that it doesn't continuously click every time you press the brake while driving. Sounds more and more as if the shifter cable came off either at the tranny or at the shifter itself. Common problem. And the fact that your cluster is still showing D kinda confirms this. It won't start if it's in D.

The ICE message is just a warning that the outside temperature is hovering around freezing and that roads may become icy. Nothing to really worry about. The LOW OIL PRESSURE STOP ENGINE message is because you have it in RUN but unable to start the engine. This is normal.

Your transmission is probably fine. Just check your shifter cable. If you want to be able to start and move the truck, you'll have to move the shifter lever by hand to P and then start it. You will need an assistant to stay in the truck with the FOOT ON THE BRAKE while you move the lever at the transmission to D.

Reactions: linneje

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
if I remember correctly after the 3 minute spinnout message was turn off engine so I let rpms go down did shift to park then turned off.Mooseman as all others makes sense that's she'still in D.

I was frustrated the saab has been stuck for 4 weeks and numerous unsuccessful attempts of freeing her. I may have left her in gear wanting to turn her off as quick as possible when seeing the turnoff engin was scary.

guess I'll crawl under there and if I can't push it more forward then she's already in P.

I confirmed that both tailights work fine so this proves the wiring at shifter for lock seliond that linneje mentions is fine to correct?

still didn't hear any click I don't drive the saab much untill spring but don't ever recall a click youall mention I'll try to be more observant.

it's still real wet but I'll still try crawl under and push forward to P.

yes I had to be a tad abuse w/ the trans back/forth rocking are the plastic bushings shadow menstions builtinto the cable?
thanks guys for the surport

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
additionally doe's the console have to removed to reinstall the shift cable? thanks

linneje

Apr 26, 2012

Check out the link above. You could do a temp repair underneath in a pinch by using something to connect it. If the problem is at the shifter you need to remove the center console.

Reactions: Mooseman

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
The plastic end piece of cable at trans popped off. Wasn’t much holding it on the shifter. I was expecting like a ball & clip type attachment.the way it’s on isn’t secure at all.

Is this plastic attachment piece at trans w/ the hole the bushing shadow mentions available on it’s own?

Was able to push shifter forward then slide cable on ,so you guys where right about being left in D. so she cranks I’ll have to wait out the moist dirt. Thanks all for advice you Guys are great.
thanks shadow for the images I'll save for future refence.

next time I get stuck in mud in addition to tieing a big towel around wheel which helped but my my was way to muddy. think I tie some think rope around tire.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Yes, you can buy the bushing solo, Dorman sells a kit that comes with bushings for both ends of the cable. It's only a few dollars IIRC, should be able to get them at any autoparts store.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The thread that @linneje posted has the correct part number to repair it.

The Saab is not a 4x4. It's just has a part-time AWD (that I call the slip/bang system) and a limited slip rear diff instead of a G80 locker in the real 4x4 trucks. You're better to keep yourself on the streets or at most, regular dirt roads.

Reactions: UsernameIsTaken

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
excellent I'll chech linneje thread for the part. is the plastic bushing snap onto the lower shifter.
Mooseman I actuely park in that part of backyard serval times the problem was the abundance of rain after parking.

thanks again Guys I'll report back when new bushing is installed.
last night got maybe 3 hours of sleep just worrying I blew it up.even thoug the trans hasn't been tested yet I'm thinking it's fine.
I'll sleep good tonight jacking her low body in mud wore me out.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mynamesjeff

Members Online