Denali Dual Exhaust

Chuck Bunyon

Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
I've done an extensive search and haven't been able to come up with any dual exhaust set ups for the Envoy Denali. I'm thinking of cutting a matching notch in the rear valance on the drivers side and doing split rear tips with a Borla muffler. I've had MagnaFlow on the 5.3L on my Sierra but want something a little different.

Reactions: TimRXUV777

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
The reason that you haven't found anything is because nobody will touch a V8 with AFM(DOD),it sounds kinda ricey in 4cyl. . There is some debate if a SS dual set-up will work, some members have said that it will but the manufacturers that I contacted said that it's different in many ways.
At any rate, the first thing that you would need to do is defeat the AFM, some get their PCMs reprogrammed I went with the Range unit which plugs into the Data port and makes the AFM go away. If I can find the same Vibrant exhaust tip that I have now I'm going to put a pseudo dual pipe on the drivers side...Mike.

Chuck Bunyon

Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
My '08 5.3L had DOD and it didn't sound ricey at all with the Magnaflow. Almost silent while cruising in 4 cyl and sounded great when I pushed on the gas.

Reactions: Pittdawg

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
That seems odd because people have reported the 4 cyl. ricey sound after removing just the resonator. And Magnaflow,Borla and others have stayed away from custom exhaust for these, I'm assuming for that reason. I did read somewhere that the exhaust system was one of the big challenges for GM when designing the DOD
V8 engine...Mike.

Chuck Bunyon

Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
I can't find the sound bit I had recorded. A buddy also put a spintech on his 5.3L DOD. It is too obnoxious for my taste.

TimRXUV777

May 6, 2014
northcreek said:
The reason that you haven't found anything is because nobody will touch a V8 with AFM(DOD),it sounds kinda ricey in 4cyl. . There is some debate if a SS dual set-up will work, some members have said that it will but the manufacturers that I contacted said that it's different in many ways.
At any rate, the first thing that you would need to do is defeat the AFM, some get their PCMs reprogrammed I went with the Range unit which plugs into the Data port and makes the AFM go away. If I can find the same Vibrant exhaust tip that I have now I'm going to put a pseudo dual pipe on the drivers side...Mike.
Not sure where you are getting your info, Northcreek, but I have heard a DOD/AFM 5.3 through dual exhausts on a full size GM Chevy Silverado Z71 and that sound rocks.. not sure who you mean when you say won't touch.. but I would be interested in to see if there's a dual exhaust setup for mine even if it's pre DOD.

Chuck Bunyon

Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
I agree either the rice comment if you were running straight pipes but a good muffler sounds great.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Perhaps exhaust sound is too subjective to form a consensus. My friend with a Saab 5.3 removed his resonator and hates the 4 cyl. mode sound.
Tim when you find this dual exhaust for your truck please share the info, I beat the brush pretty good and found nada....Mike.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahmed1999

Members Online