Defective vvt?

Stuntmanmike77

Original poster
May 6, 2018
Sanford, ME
Hello everyone. I purchased a new vvt sensor for my 2003 TB from rock auto. Delphi brand. I'm over the oil change interval and it NEEDS to be done and want to replace this because the oil has wicked up through the sensor into the connection. The tab on the new unit where the attaching bolt goes through has a slight wiggle to it. Will I be ok installing this or will the tab eventually break off causing engine damage? This is the second one from them as the box was damaged on the first one. Should I install? Is there supposed to be movement there?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You're talking about the CPAS (camshaft position actuator solenoid), not a sensor. I think I know what you're talking about. It's the bracket that holds it in the block. It should be fine. That bracket is in grooved slots in the body of the CPAS. It will hold it in the head properly.

At one time, that groove used to be all around the body and allowed the CPAS to rotate. Still worked fine then.

Stuntmanmike77

Original poster
May 6, 2018
Sanford, ME
Ok, thank you. Just making sure because it will be the first time I've done one and our only vehicle. I will go ahead and replace it after my oil change.

Stuntmanmike77

Original poster
May 6, 2018
Sanford, ME
I just did my oil change now, ready to do the sensor. A couple people said to replace the connector with a new one but, cannot find it anywhere. What can i use to clean the dirty engine oil that pooled up in the connector. I've been using shop rags to get most of it out but the residue is the issue. Contact cleaner or brake cleaner maybe?

Dr.Fiero

Dec 7, 2017
S. Alberta
Wrap a rag around it, and nail it with the brake clean. Don't want it spraying in your eyes. Yes, it stings. :wink:

Shoot it, shake it out, shoot it. Repeat until clean. Hit it with some air after if it's an option to blow out the balance of the solvent.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online