Dash Cam

SnowBlazer

Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
Hey everyone! I was browsing on Ebay when dash cams came up as a suggestion for me (might be telling me something). Anyone have any good suggestions for front/rear dash cams?
Thanks!!

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I don't think there have been many of us that have used these. One member had a set, that came in handy when he got rear ended, and the person's insurance company tried to get out of paying until they saw the video. I can't remember who it was, but they did post a model number in their thread. They ran off SD cards.

I tried using a (free) cell phone app, DailyRoads Voyager, and it was actually pretty good. Only issue is that since it runs through your phone, you have to have it mounted somewhere that works well. I have a dash mount for my phone already, so I just used an extension to prop it up a little bit higher. Something rear view mirror height is much more preferable, as the dash mount was too low for my preference. And of course, there's no rear view provision.

What I want to do eventually, is install a 4 channel DVR system, and run 4 cameras. The additional 2 being pointed at a forward angle from the cargo area side windows. Been kinda keeping tabs on what's available, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Reactions: SnowBlazer

808_LS_EXT

Aug 28, 2014
Make sure it is made from carbon-fiber so it doesn't affect your MPGs too much... :biggrin:

J/K,,, following this topic as I am also in the market.
Right now I just set my old GoPro on the dash and erase the memory after each trip.

SnowBlazer

Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
Blckshdw said:
I don't think there have been many of us that have used these. One member had a set, that came in handy when he got rear ended, and the person's insurance company tried to get out of paying until they saw the video. I can't remember who it was, but they did post a model number in their thread. They ran off SD cards.
808_LS_EXT said:
Make sure it is made from carbon-fiber so it doesn't affect your MPGs too much... :biggrin:
That's where I got the idea in the first place. I figure dash cams would be more beneficial than a brush guard. Planning on getting one in the front and one in the back.

808, that's a good point. Don't want the cams weighing down my rig too much. I fill up every other week already. Lol :smile:

Reactions: 808_LS_EXT

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I think Hatchet has camera setup in his rig.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
HARDTRAILZ said:
I think Hatchet has camera setup in his rig.
:undecided: I think it was his thread on the OS that gave me the idea.

redleg6

Apr 10, 2012
I bought a small suction cup mount and iphone(4S) mount on Amazon for $4 and free shipping. I used it recently to take a time lapse video from my home in the morning to work. Luckily it was early enough that there was hardly any traffic. Using my cell phone as a dash cam probably isnt the best idea for long trips...lack of memory.

Just keep looking online for different setups from various online retailiers. Tiger Direct has them, B&H Photo has them.

SnowBlazer

Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs

Grimor

Mar 28, 2013
r1894 said:
Grimor, do you need to erase videos on either of these or do they loop and have a save button?
they loop, i dunno about a save button, i get a few hours between loops so i just grab the video when i get home if i want it. you can set then to not loop if you want or put a bigger card in for more time between overwrite

SnowBlazer

Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
Grimor said:
they loop, i dunno about a save button, i get a few hours between loops so i just grab the video when i get home if i want it. you can set then to not loop if you want or put a bigger card in for more time between overwrite
Gotcha, and you said you liked the one with the flip down screen better? Looks like I'll have to rewire my cigarette outlets to my ignition wire... :eyebrowhuh:

Thanks for all the info!

Grimor

Mar 28, 2013
r1894 said:
Gotcha, and you said you liked the one with the flip down screen better? Looks like I'll have to rewire my cigarette outlets to my ignition wire... :eyebrowhuh:

Thanks for all the info!
i tapped the continuous power in the overhead console and added a "cig lighter" port with a usb adapter plugged in. you could just as easily tap the sunroof power that is more or less acc

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
r1894 said:
Yeah, I don't know how I'm going to wire it because I have an 02 LS, no sunroof or overhead console. :frown:
The wiring should be there.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Yep, you should have wires running down to your rear view mirror.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
I want to get a dash cam going myself. It can be a bane to people whose driving habits may not fit what is expected, but to "normal" drivers it can be a real boon, especially in insurance claims. I mean, you have yourself and the other party or parties, and maybe other eye witnesses, but really that's still word vs word, and the dash cam provides a great direct view. I'm sure there's versions that also include things like what speed you're going, etc. just like police cams may show speed and also generally show when lights/sirens are active.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I just use my Ion Air Pro as a dashcam Ryan... Stays put with some 3M velcro

Reactions: BlazingTrails

02blackenvoy

Feb 1, 2014
I use this one... 39 bucks at WalMart. I use it in my Semi, and it works so well that I grabbed another for the Envoy. It continuous loops and does have a save button, and can be set to event record, such as a collision or a hard brake...

Here's a link to a video from the truck, I posted on my Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10204903037076631&set=vb.1261266468&type=3&theater

The Walmart link, it's actually in the stereo area, that's where I found mine. Even comes with a bicycle attchment if you are so inclined...lol

http://www.walmart.com/ip/42104314?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227030201446&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=64291698648&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=91013166048&veh=sem

Shawn

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
SnowBlazer said:
Hey everyone! I was browsing on Ebay when dash cams came up as a suggestion for me (might be telling me something). Anyone have any good suggestions for front/rear dash cams?
Thanks!!
How did I not see this thread?
I used to use an Ion Air Pro attached to it's base and held in place with 3M Velcro, held great. Now I have a GoPro that I have mounted to the dash next to where I use the Ion.

Reactions: SnowBlazer

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zee0719

Members Online