CV Joint Rotation

tr23

Original poster
Jan 28, 2014
Hello All

I think I have a bad RF wheel bearing, and through disassembling to check I'm wondering about the CV shaft. When I rotate the hub by hand, I feel and hear a slick click from the CV joint coming from inside the inner boot of the CV joint. Is this normal operation of the disconnect or something I should be concerned about?

tr23

Original poster
Jan 28, 2014
...and to further my question, with the truck in 4Hi, and the driver side wheel on the ground, how much play should I get trying to rotate the passenger side hub by hand? Is 1/4"-1/2" of circular movement ok?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
1/2" movement is very good. But the clicking isn't.

Wish you'd shared your mileage, maintenance history, and if you're lifted. :confused:

tr23

Original poster
Jan 28, 2014
135000KM, poorly maintained by previous owner, we're trying to catch up!
Front diff & transfer case need oil changed.
Stock suspension.
Perhaps another way to describe it is that the CV shaft seems to move the half inch before "something" grabs it in the disconnect. The click is that grabbing or intertwining happening in the disconnect.
No noise or movement from the CV shaft itself.
It seems ok to me....but I'm hoping for confirmation, which would send me back to wheel bearings...

tr23

Original poster
Jan 28, 2014
Well it looks like the CV shaft is ok....i changed the RF hub/bearing assembly and all is well again!

I couldn't make a definitive diagnosis with figure 8s, sharp turns, feeling for play in the hub, or even rotating the hub by hand listening with a stethoscope....but, an IR thermometer showed the RF hub running 30F warmer than the LF after 10 minutes of driving!

Roadie thanks for your help, and especially for bringing the IR gun to mind (you mentioned it in several threads about wheel hubs)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jesussaves

Members Online