Current CNG conversion in the works. looking for someone info on the tps

essaycho348

Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
ok so i understand that the throttle position sensor is worked into the the throttle body. im looking for the throttle position signal wire. there are something like 8-10 wires coming out of this plug. I need to find the wire that has less than 1 volt when the throttle body is closed and when the butterfly opens it should be around 2-3 volts. i could just splice into each wire but i really don't want to do that just yet.

does anyone have an schematics or way of figuring this out? or even a junkyard plug that i could plug in and then use?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I don't think it makes a difference in this case, but if you could update your profile with the model and YEAR you have it could help other electrical questions. I'm going to assume you have an I6 but even that's a guess.

There are TWO position feedback sensors, because the PCM for consistency checking and runaway prevention (on the throttle body AND the accel pedal position sensors) is always comparing the two of them. One goes up in value as the valve opens, and the other one goes DOWN. That way a single broken wire can't cause a runaway vehicle.

The throttle body has 5V reference signals on the L-BU/BK and the GY wires. Ground reference on BK/WH and BK, and the sensor outputs are on PU and D-GN. The stepper motor power feeds are on BN and YE, for completeness. The shop manual doesn't reveal which sensor is which, so you'll have to use the old "poke a needle through the insulation and put your meter on the needle" trick. Remember to never try to move the butterfly valve by hand with the power on, since that risks burning out the stepper.

essaycho348

Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
ok sounds good. that at least leads me somewhere in the right direction, i need the rising voltage, not the falling. i have a v8, sorry i didn't realize that my information hadn't been updated.

essaycho348

Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
ended up finding the wire, i bought a subscription for my truck via alldatadiy.com got exactly where every wire was, tapped right into the pin connector at the pcm thanks to their diagrams, ill end up doing a full write up to find all the wires and how to hook this all up once im fully done with the projects and have ironed out all of the kinks. thanks!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online