Cupholders...

MDBT

Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Not an appearance modification but I thought it fit better here than in a "technical" section.

There is a lot to like about the Saab but I'm struggling with cupholder options. I have only one of the original TB cupholders. The one in the dash won't hold more than a redbull can. I like to pick up the occasional slurpee or fast food pop and don't have anywhere to put it. I am not a fan of the cupholders that mount on the window sill because the contents seem to fall, spill, or splash when opening or closing a door. Setting a console on the passenger seat isn't terribly stable nor does it allow for passengers. I was just wondering if anyone had pics or ideas of aftermarket cupholder solutions for the TBs.

For those of you unfamiliar, here's what the Saab looks like:

consolez.jpg

Reactions: Pygot

Instrumental

Jan 29, 2012
The cupholder was my greatest annoyance in buying my Saab, but I wasn't going to let a cupholder ruin the deal for me.

My thought is to add one of the cupholders pictured here on the passengers side of the console. It would impede moving the seat all the way up, but as long as I can get the rear seat flipped forward I'm ok with that.

I am curious is anyone else has any ideas, these cupholders cost 30.00 or so, I don't really want to order one unless I'm pretty sure it's going to be what I want.

Tuffy.jpg

Tuffy Security (designed for Jeeps, also comes in a 9 degree angled model)

RB.jpg

RB Industries

MDBT

Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
There is actually a SAAB part designed to mount to the passenger side of the console, but from the description it is only setup to handle a couple of 12oz can sized drinks and a few cds

img.php

Instrumental

Jan 29, 2012
The Saab part inspired me, but yes, too small. The two I listed a bigger, plenty of room for the big gulp. I can't remember exactly the size, but I did find it for the Tuffy. Plenty big enough for anything I'd need.

MDBT

Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Some of the cups from these places are styrofoam and I'm worried if that RB might have too little edge on it and cut the cup if a passenger leg bumps it. I'll check out the tuffy one thanks, just worried about putting holes in the console.

Instrumental

Jan 29, 2012
3m makes an amazing doublesided tape, it's grey with a red peel off film on it. I'm not 100% if I want to put something like this on with it, but everything I've used it on so far has stuck 'like glue'. When I traded in my Aztek for the 9-7x I removed my XM mount, 3-way power splitter and Touchstone charger, it took a significant effort, but it did come off with no damage to the vehicle.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
I have to agree that the SAAB cupholders are an evil joke. The only cup I need to carry is a stainless Nissan coffee cup with a handle. It literally fits exactly with no room to spare and I have to remove it before I put the car in park. I don't even try to use the flip out holder. Funny how the Swedes improved on many of the common sense things but couldn't figure out a simple cup holder. In an American Market car, you'd think they'd know we love our cupholders. I get it was sold in other markets but surely they must have a need for cupholders too.

Reactions: Pygot

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Jkust said:
I get it was sold in other markets but surely they must have a need for cupholders too.
No Tom Horton's, or Dunkin' Donuts :rotfl::rotfl:

Instrumental

Jan 29, 2012
So, did anyone end up using this cupholder? It's on my list to do before we leave for vacation this summer, just wondering how it might have turned out.

MDBT

Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
I got a cupholder that slides between the seat and console but it's not going to work having another person in the car. Going to replace it with the Tuffy item posted earlier in this thread, or something like it.

dazingla

Jul 14, 2013
MDBT said:
I got a cupholder that slides between the seat and console but it's not going to work having another person in the car. Going to replace it with the Tuffy item posted earlier in this thread, or something like it.

My old 95 cherokee had its cup holders on the center console right at the dash near the passengers left knee. Really annoying if you ask me lol

Grimor

Mar 28, 2013
98786812677.jpg

98786839813.jpg

I've moved this cup holder from car to car. I almost never open my center console, and I don't like driving with it open anyway... so I just cut a hole and drop this in. It's been moved through an 85 mustang, 88 crown vic, 87 towncar, 05 cavalier and 03 cavalier.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.