Crutchfield install instructions

JCJARHEAD

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Morning all. I am looking to replace my speakers and am a bit intimidated as to what it might entail. I have read the posts here and looked at the Crutchfield site. They make it sound easy and it may well be.

I am the type who needs DETAILED instructions given my lack of ability. Does anyone have a copy of what they send with the materials and how complete they are? Can someone post an image of the instructions? THANKS TO ALL. Hoping for better sound once the weather warms up!

Boog2006

Dec 3, 2011
Speakers were easy...you tube the door panel removal...then you need a 7mm socket and a torx screwdriver to remove the speakers. Don't remember what size.

jeffro312

Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
I just did all 4 door speakers but I have a rainier and let me tell you those are the easiest door panels to remove and put back on didn't even damage a clip.

After disconnecting all the switches there were two bolts and then clips around edge I pryed out with a screw driver carefully.

Then yes need a torx screw driver for speakers to get them out of the enclosure. I found a reg allen key I had in my RC truck tool set worked also but was tuff.

again I have a rainier so inside my door I have sound deadner stuff was glued down speaker housing also was glued down and speaker glued to housing. Stick your flat head in and pry it apart.

I had this foam cover for speakers you can well I did throw it away as my new 3 ways stuck out too far..

Wiring is easy fronts in kept the factory connector and soldered in speaker wires to connection terminal

Rears were a pia to keep factory so I just cut connectors off and wired direct to speaker.

If you get stuck or confused come leave a message I'll help ya out

JCJARHEAD

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Excellent input guys...thank you very much. You can probably tell I am a bit of a noob as I have never installed a car stereo or anything like that? I am not all that great a turning a wrench either but have become much more comfortable with that given the members here and their postings. I am at 11 years and about 130k miles and plan to ride her for as long as I can....thus the upgrade from stock after all these years.

When it gets warm...I may just dive in....but I have this fear of getting the door panels off (youtube video is good!)...but then I do not understand enough about schematics, ohms, 2 way, 4 way....etc that I have seen in other posts. So am fearful of screwing something up....maybe too much reading has made me nervous? :confused:

jeffro312

Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
If your just adding speakers to upgrade factory with factory radio find I think your size same as mine 6.5 inch speakers. 2 way and 3 way means like 1 way low 1 way mids and 1 way high. So if its 2 way has a woofer for lows and one for highs get better distinction between the two. For the rears you just want a quick responding 2 way. Fronts a 3 way will fill up cabin with good sound

Its easy man only two wires per speaker simple you'll figure it out. I do suggest wait till its warm. Or in a garage I hate working on my car incold

JCJARHEAD

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Yup...definately waiting for the warmth...hopefully soon!:yes:

Here is the post I saw that got me to thinking that the specific Crutchfield instructions might be best for someone who has never done it before.

"The instructions from crutchfield are pretty much straight forward they even come with pictures, and the wires are also color coated and have writing on them."

They had me at "...pictures, and the wires are color coated..." Can you tell I am a little apprehensive? I feel like I should be searching for something titled "Car stereo for Dummies.":rotfl:

mapanch

Dec 2, 2011
JCJARHEAD said:
Yup...definately waiting for the warmth...hopefully soon!:yes:

Here is the post I saw that got me to thinking that the specific Crutchfield instructions might be best for someone who has never done it before.

"The instructions from crutchfield are pretty much straight forward they even come with pictures, and the wires are also color coated and have writing on them."

They had me at "...pictures, and the wires are color coated..." Can you tell I am a little apprehensive? I feel like I should be searching for something titled "Car stereo for Dummies.":rotfl:

I just did my stereo few weeks ago. Let me see if I can find the install sheets. No scanner at home, but I can do it from work tomorrow. PM me your "real" email address.

EDIT:
Was able to download a version from Crutchfield's website. It was still on my order. Is there a way to upload Adobe attachments to a PM?

JCJARHEAD

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Just sent you a pm. I was able to find some "generic" looking Crutchfield instructions on the web. But I think their site said they provide "model" specific ones, which is what got me thinking that way.

Was this your first stereo install? Or are you a more experienced installer? Just curious what your perspective is based on your ability level?

jeffro312

Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
If I read correctly he's just trying to do door speakers the front speakers at least in my rainier your able to keep factory connectors and just replace speaker pretty much a no brainer. The rears you just connect wires after cutting connector.

If he if he is doing a radio. He should have a wire harness for his vehicle plugs right in and then match the colors ....if I'm wrong please let me know

JCJARHEAD

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
You're not wrong....I was looking only at speaker replacement. But depending upon what the instructions show....maybe I will do the headunit (radio?)....just to chicken to try without pristine instructions!:undecided:

I may have quoted the section they were talking about the headunit but I figured if they took the trouble to color code and such...all the better for use first timers.

I will also say that I found much better prices for the components themselves on other sites. I was just exploring at present. But if the instructions make the added expense worth it....I may move in that direction.

jeffro312

Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
I can give you step by step instructions but I have a rainier so not sure if its the same

1. I pryed up my door controls for windows and heated seats.
2. Remove wiring plugs using flat head screw drive to carefully lift latch and remove plug
3. Took a socket forgot size and removed the two bolts that are inside where controls were
4. Removed the woodgrain molding stuff around door handle
5. Take two flat heads and carefully starting in bottom left of door pry the panel away from metal looking inside for white clips bring screw drive near clip and pry out till it pops out. Slide to next clip and do the same all the way around door.
6. Be care full near where the side mirror is a odd clip in there
7. Once all clips removed lift the door panel to remove
8. Once door panel is removed speaker will be revealed.
9. My door since is a Buick has sound deader inside so I had to pull it away from top of speaker housing.
10. Speaker housing held in by 4 bolts either 8mm or 10mm. Remove those.
11. Use flat head to remove speaker connector
12. This was also glued on pry with flat head
13. Once housing is out get your new speaker and go to work bench.
14. Need a torx screw driver or I used similar sized Allen wrench remove 2-4 screws holding speaker
15. May need to pry up speaker cover foamy stuff
16. Once screws out speaker still glues or mine was pry it away
17. Install new speaker same way removed old.
18. Solder in wires to wire terminal
19. Install speaker and housing same way you removed it
20. Push glue sound deadner back on
21. Get door panel and put the part you had to lift out of window sill first top first kinda has a lip that goes in where window does
22 once door is hanging make sure white clips line up to holes start top front near side mirror and pop em back in
23. Once it its all back enjoy

24. Forgot to mention to plug speaker back in and test before putting door panel on

Passenger drive side same

Rears are very similar

mrphoenix80

Jan 1, 2013
Just did my rear door speakers a few hours ago. The torx bit is a T-20 (99% sure). I did 6.5" Pioneers. I cut off the factory plugs but was able to use the stock screw holes in the stock mounts. I did the front doors last thurs. Same up front for the mounts.
But remember the 10mm bolt under the door switch panel. The other is hiding down inside the door pull handle.
Then un clip the door trim. I normally start at the top of the panel behind the mirror then work around the door.
After the panel is off you can see the speaker. It is held to the door with 3x 7mm screws.
With the speaker removed from the door. I cut the wires in the back and for laziness sake I used heatshrink butt connectors to hook the new wires to the old.
If you want I will try to snap some pics tomorrow. I have to go back in there. Got some lights to install!!!!!:cool:

mapanch

Dec 2, 2011
JCJARHEAD said:
Just sent you a pm. I was able to find some "generic" looking Crutchfield instructions on the web. But I think their site said they provide "model" specific ones, which is what got me thinking that way.

Was this your first stereo install? Or are you a more experienced installer? Just curious what your perspective is based on your ability level?

It was my first install. Hardest part was getting the dash apart (PITA on the Trailblazer). Took the wiring harnesses in the house and connected them in the warmth. Ended up doing the headunit in my girl's Aveo the day after I did mine (errr me and my dad did mine-both of them). Its alot easier than you think it would be. But the directions from Crutchfield are vehicle specific and pretty step by step.

JCJARHEAD

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Mapanch was able to send the Crutchfield instructions...THANK YOU AGAIN! I think they are well done. Sounds like you were in fact able to do yours and it went well. That gives me some confidence. I am now looking forward to doing this come spring. I think the kids will appreciate better tunes too!

I may shop around for the components though. Crutchfield can command a higher price perhaps because they are providing all that is needed and instructions. I may move "down market" a bit as I would look foolish driving around town with my truck bouncing off the ground with BASE!:rotfl:

Just hoping for some improved sounds as I hope to ride the Envoy for as long as I can....she's paid for after all and I am the original owner so I know her moods!

Thanks again to all....ROCK ON!:thumbsup:

JCJARHEAD

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
mrphoenix80 said:
Just did my rear door speakers a few hours ago. The torx bit is a T-20 (99% sure). I did 6.5" Pioneers. I cut off the factory plugs but was able to use the stock screw holes in the stock mounts. I did the front doors last thurs. Same up front for the mounts.
But remember the 10mm bolt under the door switch panel. The other is hiding down inside the door pull handle.
Then un clip the door trim. I normally start at the top of the panel behind the mirror then work around the door.
After the panel is off you can see the speaker. It is held to the door with 3x 7mm screws.
With the speaker removed from the door. I cut the wires in the back and for laziness sake I used heatshrink butt connectors to hook the new wires to the old.
If you want I will try to snap some pics tomorrow. I have to go back in there. Got some lights to install!!!!!:cool:

If there is one thing people here at the Nation seem to love....its PIX!:smile:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online