Cruise control working intermitently......any ideas?????

rugbydelboy

Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
I would like to start a discussion about the cruise control on my 2004 TB. I have a truck where the cruise works intermittently and have no idea where to start fault finding to attempt to uncover what could cause the system to work every now and then........can anybody please help me out with any ideas where to start looking...I do not have any codes.........
Thanks and keep up the awesome work, this site is fantastic resource for help and information....................................... ................... :crazy:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I would suspect your brake switch under the peddle being too sensitive. I don't know if it's adjustable or not, but I'm sure others will chime in.

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
Certain aftermarket wheel bearing hubs have sensors that don't quite match up with OEM. The cruise shuts off if it thinks one wheel is going slower/faster. I believe on the 04' model year you have three sensors, one on each front hub and one by the tail shaft of the TC. The CPU also saves the last 10-15 reasons why the cruise control was cancelled. You can take it to the dealer to have the history read, to simplify troubleshooting. I believe they use a techII scanner.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
There are many reasons for the CC to stop working.
I had an intermittent miss (P0300) that word kick out the CC while driving. It wasn't enough to set a CEL, but I finally found it as a pending code.

Ray Dockrey

Dec 6, 2011
I agree with Wooluf. You need to get it scanned first and see if there are any codes stored in memory. There are a number of codes that will stop the cruise from working .

rugbydelboy

Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Ok theres some great starters here, the temperature would be a factor as last week it was -15 to -20 all week and the cruise worked fine, even this morning with loads of snow it was OK. I will check the rear sensor as I had 2 front wheel bearings replaced with OEM AC Delco units, I will also check the brake switch as it cancels when I just touch the peddle......... Thanks again......awesome GMT

Harpo

Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
I had a problem with my tail lights, cc stopped working when i used the turn signal.
Sometimes it wont engage at all.:twocents::twocents:

rugbydelboy

Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Today for no reason my CC stoppoed working, for 5 days no problem then all of a sudden nothing.........and I now have a P0410 code......strange

RichieT

Feb 8, 2012
My CC acts up, too. Mine would work normal for about 20 miles then turn off. After that it would turn off every mile or so. Lately I noticed that if I set it to around 65 mph it works normal. If I set it to 70 or above I have the problem. Guess it doesn't like to speed. Maybe the vibration at the higher speed triggers a sensitive brake switch but I really haven't had a chance to really troubleshoot it.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
RichieT said:
Guess it doesn't like to speed.
Overspeed is one of the things that can suppress CC operation, but the threshold is a lot higher than 70 MPH. Your problem is vibration, I'm almost certain. Or a pending misfire code. Your plugs fresh?

RichieT

Feb 8, 2012
Changed the plugs and cleaned throttle body 6 months ago. Got new tires couple of months ago and they run smoother than what I had. Lifted and aligned last month. The only change was after the new tires the problem wasn't as bad. I even drove (when safe to do so) with my foot hooked under the brake pedal with some upward pressure to see if maybe the pedal was vibrating and causing the CC to disengage but it still happened. Maybe an over-sensitive switch. It's not a big problem, more an annoyance when something doesn't work right. Thanks.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Troubleshooting intermittent CC dropouts is so challenging that GM provides a little memory location where a Tech II tool can ask the system WHY it dropped out for the last few times. Certain OBDII codes, brake pedal, control switch inputs, overspeed, overheating, low voltage, etc. You can always pay somebody with a Tech II.

Also try moving the CC on/off switch on the stalk a few dozen times to see if you have dirty contacts.

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
I can't explain this at all but here's what happened to me: my cruise control was like yours and working intermittently until a couple days later it stopped working all together. 2 nights ago I approached my TB while it was running and noticed that the high-mount brake light was dimly illuminated. Not lit like it would be if I had the brakes on, but dimly. I then checked all lighting on the truck and realized the top bulb on my passenger side tail was burnt out. The taillight part worked, but the second filament that does the brake light was burnt out. I replaced the bulb, and the high mount stop light returned to functioning normally. Guess what else happened? My cruise came back to life and works completely normal again. I've had this thing for 10 years and this has never happened to me. I can't explain it, but that's what happened.

Reactions: Redbeard

rugbydelboy

Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
I have checked all the lights, I will have to look at a couple of things rodie has suggested, maybe it is dirty contacts, I have a P0410 code thats popped up again......would this effect the CC??????]

Wishbone

Dec 5, 2011
I also started having the same problem with the cruise control disengaging intermittently or not working altogether. Coincidentally, I replaced both my front wheel hubs that morning so I immediately thought it was related to the wheel hubs. But to confuse the issue a little bit, upon my first trip to the store after replacing the hubs it threw a CEL and had a P0300 code. I cleared the CEL and within a week I found a pending P0300 code.

I've been reading posts about this and it looks like the P0300 could be contributing to the problem as well as 7 or 8 other things. So after reading further about the P0300 code, I replaced the spark plugs (only 65000 miles on them) and cleaned the throttle body (it was disgusting) and now I no longer have a pending code. I do however still have intermittent problems with the cruise control. Now the cruise control seems to work at 69-70mph and below, but if I go up to 72mph or higher it trips off within a mile or two.

So today I contacted the vendor I purchased the wheel hubs from and they are going to replace them both under warranty. I'm crossing my fingers that when I replace them again the problem will be resolved.

tricguy007

Dec 7, 2011
Well I have the same problem but I have a code C0055??? Any answers to that thank u

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
tricguy007 said:
Well I have the same problem but I have a code C0055??? Any answers to that thank u

I just googled it and it showed a thread from the OS, the member was asking about a c0005 - vehicle speed sensor. Sounds like it relates to the speed sensor. Unfortunately, there was no replies to his question :no:... but maybe a speed sensor would relate to a few of the issues in this thread?

Wishbone

Dec 5, 2011
Wishbone said:
Now the cruise control seems to work at 69-70mph and below, but if I go up to 72mph or higher it trips off within a mile or two.

So today I contacted the vendor I purchased the wheel hubs from and they are going to replace them both under warranty. I'm crossing my fingers that when I replace them again the problem will be resolved.

Finally got both front wheel hubs replaced... again... and still have the same problem. I can go a little longer, maybe 30-40 seconds, but it still drops out if I go over about 69 mph.

I'm going to call the local dealership and get them to read the computer with a Tech II. I'm still convinced it's related to the abs sensors in these cheap hubs I bought, it was just too coincidental that this all started happening immediately after replacing the wheel hubs.

Wishbone

Dec 5, 2011
So I went to the dealership today. They read the computer with the Tech II and confirmed only that there were 'history' codes related to the ABS but nothing current. They cleared the history codes. Then they drove it up to 73mph (speed limit was 55) monitoring the speed of all four wheels and they were reading correctly. They could not get the cruise to fail in the short test drive. I went on the freeway and it still drops out but sometimes stays engaged up to 73-74mph. All this at NO CHARGE, so I feel good about that. I think it's time to get OEM hubs and send these cheapies back to the vendor... :mad:

yodaddy4200

Feb 3, 2013
My CC has been acting up b/c i installed LED tails, and LED switchbacks up front... When i manually switch my lights off CC works. But when i signal to turn or turn my lights on it kicks off? Do i need to add a 50w 6ohm resistor to my brake light/s?:confused:

matthewcc17

Jan 2, 2012
I also have the same probem with the CC cutting out at speeds over 65mph. It works perfectly at speeds below 61mph. Bulbs are fine and no codes are showing. I have replaced both front wheel bearings (due to the thing souding like an airplane) with no change in symptoms for the CC. Replaced all four tires due to wear 6 months ago with no CC symptom change. I have replaced the rear wheel speed sensor thinking it was the only other option making it malfunction, but still no change in CC operation.
On a 3 hour trip last weekend, I noticed that it always cut out just before reaching the apex of a hill (about 100yds before the top). Im talking gradual rolling hills/slight inclines. Not enough to make it down shift or unlock the TCC even. It was almost like when the engine just started to ease up the CC would shut off. It was so predictable that once I noticed this I got the timing down pat and could re-engage by pressing resume immediatly after. Then it is good till the next hilltop.
I hope this helps narrow things down. This has been annoying me for almost 2 years now.

hdodd1

Dec 3, 2011
I recently had my CC stop working occasionally...also the traction control light on dash would come on. I realized that it often happened after applying the brake...changed the brake switch for $30.00 two day ago no problem sense.

Wishbone

Dec 5, 2011
matthewcc17 said:
I also have the same probem with the CC cutting out at speeds over 65mph. It works perfectly at speeds below 61mph. Bulbs are fine and no codes are showing. I have replaced both front wheel bearings (due to the thing souding like an airplane) with no change in symptoms for the CC. Replaced all four tires due to wear 6 months ago with no CC symptom change. I have replaced the rear wheel speed sensor thinking it was the only other option making it malfunction, but still no change in CC operation.
On a 3 hour trip last weekend, I noticed that it always cut out just before reaching the apex of a hill (about 100yds before the top). Im talking gradual rolling hills/slight inclines. Not enough to make it down shift or unlock the TCC even. It was almost like when the engine just started to ease up the CC would shut off. It was so predictable that once I noticed this I got the timing down pat and could re-engage by pressing resume immediatly after. Then it is good till the next hilltop.
I hope this helps narrow things down. This has been annoying me for almost 2 years now.

I was also experiencing the exact same thing as matthewcc17, it would cut out as I was about to crest a hill, even the long gradual rolling hills. I replaced the cheap off brand wheel hubs with Timken hubs. My cruise Control is working perfectly again.:wootwoot: Lesson to be learned: Don't buy cheap off brand wheel hubs!!!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
snipe1080 said:
Does anyone know if a C0055 code could cause your transmission to not shift properly?
I can imagine that happening, but the shop manual is not specific about it. It's an error code that the VSS (Vehicle speed sensor) is not being read properly by the ABS control module, so it lights up the BRAKE and the ABS warning lights. I would think that the transmission shift points are very tightlied ties into the PCM knowing the vehicle's speed. Just fix the VSS circuit problem and then you can tell us how it works.

The speedometer should also be reading poorly. Is it?

snipe1080

Sep 17, 2013
the roadie said:
I can imagine that happening, but the shop manual is not specific about it. It's an error code that the VSS (Vehicle speed sensor) is not being read properly by the ABS control module, so it lights up the BRAKE and the ABS warning lights. I would think that the transmission shift points are very tightlied ties into the PCM knowing the vehicle's speed. Just fix the VSS circuit problem and then you can tell us how it works.

The speedometer should also be reading poorly. Is it?

No. Speedo reads fine. No ABS or brake lights showing up either. Only SES. Had the codes ran at AAP and got C0055 and P0019. Got both sensors coming in tomorrow. Transmission won't shift past 2nd. Happened all of a sudden too. No slipping or grinding.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Why didn't you think the P0019 was relevant to mention? :frown:

Many, many engine-related codes can suppress CC operation, as a clue to the driver to get the SES issue fixed.

But I don't see a connection to the transmission. What's your mileage and fluid maintenance history?

snipe1080

Sep 17, 2013
Mileage - 138650 and proud of it! Trans filter and fluid changed less than 90 days ago. I support a local small business by letting them handle most of my fluid changes. They did the trans.

snipe1080

Sep 17, 2013
Sensors did not fix the issue. Further analysis determined that the 3-4 clutch is gone. Anyone got a 4x4 transmission for sale near Atlanta on the cheap?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online