Cruise control & Transmission Question

Zakman1945

Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
I was driving home a few nights ago, using the cruise, which initially was working as expected. When stopping at a traffic light, I noticed that the cruise indicator light had gone out. I tried resetting the cruise but it would not activate. I also noticed that the transmission was shifting really hard from 1st to 2nd gear. I drove for a few miles on surface streets, stopping at traffic lights and the hard shifting continued. I pulled to the side of the road, turned off and restarted the engine. While pulling out into traffic, I noticed that the trans began shifting smoothly again, but the cruise still would not activate. I tried it a few more times and checked the fuse panel, the next day, to see if any fuses were blown. Nothing was blown there. Any ideas as to what would cause this and how would the cruise going out cause the trans to shift hard? Where do I go from here? The SES lamp is not lit and everything else seems to be working properly. :confused: Thanks for any suggestions.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Losing the cruise is a side effect, not a cause, of the tranny problems. Many pending and active codes will suppress the cruise function as an annoyance designed to get the driver's attention. Get the codes read and look for pending or historical codes.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rgoldwing54

Members Online