Crimping new trans cooler lines

JayArr

Original poster
Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
Since the cooler lines for the trans and the oil are relatively low pressure and relatively low temperature I'm considering repairing all my leaky lines by crimping new hoses to the barb fittings using brass hose ferrules and my Mastercool AC hose crimping tool.

Any reason this won't hold or last?

I've considered also doing the steering lines but they are such high pressure I don't know if my Mastercool crimper will be good enough to seal at that high a psi.

Anyone ever tried this?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I know I've used ordinary brass connectors that has ferrules on the steel trans lines with no leakage. Also used them on the power steering low pressure return lines too. No crimping required. In fact, I used them on brand new trans lines that I was installing on the V8 Saab that I wound up having to cut them in half because I couldn't figure out how to thread them through.

61q1pVVV0mL.jpg

Of course these cannot be used on any high pressure lines. That requires replacement of the whole line.

Correct me if I'm wrong but will that A/C line crimper work on steel lines since they are usually aluminum?

JayArr

Original poster
Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
I know I've used ordinary brass connectors that has ferrules on the steel trans lines with no leakage. Also used them on the power steering low pressure return lines too. No crimping required. In fact, I used them on brand new trans lines that I was installing on the V8 Saab that I wound up having to cut them in half because I couldn't figure out how to thread them through.

61q1pVVV0mL.jpg

Of course these cannot be used on any high pressure lines. That requires replacement of the whole line.

Correct me if I'm wrong but will that A/C line crimper work on steel lines since they are usually aluminum?
I wasn't clear enough. when I said ferrules, I meant hose ferrules not line ferrules.

I've got a selection of brass ferrules and I'm wondering if they will hold if I use them on the trans and oil lines.

I'm also wondering if the Mastercool crimper I've got would make a crimp tight enough to hold a power steering line. I would buy steel ferrules for this.

BrassFerrule.jpg

Ferrule.jpg

Mastercool.jpg

JayArr

Original poster
Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
This guy on YouTube is using the Mastercool type crimper to make hydraulic hoses.

If he can get it to hold at those pressures I'm thinking that I can repair power steering lines with mine.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Ah. I don't think anybody here has any experience with those but if you do try it, would be good to know.

Last edited:

JayArr

Original poster
Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
OK, always good to ask if someone has already tried something but if not I'll be happy to be the first to see if it will work.

Both transmission lines from Rock Auto with taxes and shipping are $218.11Cdn. If I can fix them for a few dollars worth of line and four ferrules I can buy myself a nice bottle of scotch.

Reactions: Mooseman

jerflash

Aug 12, 2020
NYC

61q1pVVV0mL.jpg

I Just did this on my 2008. were starting to rust up front but were perfect under the truck right by where they bend up to go into the trans. Those connections are a bitch to get to so i took my super small pipe cutter and cut them both, pulled old lines out, fed the new gm lines in from the front, cut them to length, and put them together with 3/8 brass fittings. ive also used brass to fix brake lines when just one small part is rused. always worked great

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yasha

Members Online