CPAS foreign object warning

McGMT

Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
The other day while bored I pulled my CPAS. It most likely had never been out before as I have the entire service history from the original dealer (vehicle belonged to elderly woman who did anything the dealer said). When I removed it, first of all it was still spotless, I got a good one. HOWEVER! There was a small piece of screen, the same kind that the CPAS has, stuck to the outside of the screen around the CPAS. It was only about 1/4" square, gonna have to say it was there since the CPAS was made and stuck into this engine. Imagine what would've happened had that gotten thru somehow. Can't say how the oil flows thru the CPAS and the oil galleries but if it goes on to the cam bearings after the CPAS that little piece of screen would've destroyed, well, ANY bearing it would've gotten into.

SO, just wanted to throw this out there to my fellow I6 owners that you never know what may be lurking in your engine. You never knowwww... MUH HA HA HA HA

lol

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Interesting. But I've read 3-4 reports over the years of folks who have pulled their CPAS out and found a screen already gone missing. And none of them came back to report very, very bad things, IIRC. But loose metal fragments would never be a good thing to throw into your oil filler hole. :eek:

McGMT

Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
the roadie said:
Interesting. But I've read 3-4 reports over the years of folks who have pulled their CPAS out and found a screen already gone missing. And none of them came back to report very, very bad things, IIRC. But loose metal fragments would never be a good thing to throw into your oil filler hole. :eek:

Oil passing the CPAS must dump back into the head and straight to the pan...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online