CPAS and O2 Sensor help

berto1014

Original poster
Member
Dec 25, 2011
12
Ok, so I looked up on trailvoy how to remove and clean the CPAS, and had a quit question about it. Do I have to remove the power steering pump, or can I just remove the CPAS sensor? Also is there going to be oil displaced that I will need to refill like power steering fluid?

Last and most important question. How do you remove the cables? I can never get any of them off. I know I have to be doing something wrong. Also same with the O2 sensor, what is the procedure of removal? If I could just figure out how to get the cables removed from parts like the CPAS and the throttle body ect. I would be able to do so much more DIY.

Thanks in advance.
 

Guenther

Member
Dec 7, 2011
65
I haven't done the CPAS but I can speak on the throttle body. The clip in the back has a little gray piece that has to come out first. In the middle of the gray piece push the little tab and pull it up and out. Then press the piece that the tab with catching on the pull out off the connector. The other connector is easier. Rotate it around until you see how it is clipped on the TB. I believe there is a little piece that you spread apart and then pull. I removed the rear connector first, then take TB off and remove the front connector. You can take off coil packs 3 and 4 with a 10mm socket to allow you a little better access to the bottom TB bolts. It's not necessary to remove them if you have a wobbly for your socket wrench but it take about 30 seconds to remove both packs. All are very easy to do. O2 sensor clip has the gray piece in there are well so follow instructions like above. Good luck.
 

berto1014

Original poster
Member
Dec 25, 2011
12
Thanks much!

I will look a bit closer for that tab next time I do the throttle body, which may be soon, because that thing seems to dirty up pretty quickly. I figured out the CPAS and got the connecter to disconnect.

Now the only question I have is, is it bad if there is oil in the electrical connection on the CPAS?
 

Guenther

Member
Dec 7, 2011
65
It should not be filled with oil. I just went out and checked mine and it's filled up so I'm changing mine. Amazing that it only took 5 minutes to remove it and a very easy process. GM part number is 12615873 and with shipping it's around $48 from GMpartsdirect and $50 from GMpartseast. I called my dealership and it was $57 but they are going to give at least 10% off so it's a few bucks more and they have it in stock. I just sent my PCM off to PCMforless yesterday to get a tune so I could get it online but still going to get it from the dealer. Instant gratification you know.
 

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Member
Nov 19, 2011
9,957
Portland, OR
If the CPAS isn't throwing a code yet or causing driveability problems, some amount of oil is tolerable. It doesn't conduct electricity, so it's not going to short out the control wiring. And the connector contacts should have good metal to metal contact so the oil won't immediately get into them and cause an open. It's an indicator that the unit has an internal seal problem, and is on its way out, but IMHO it's not a "drop everything and deal with it" emergency.
 

Guenther

Member
Dec 7, 2011
65
the roadie said:
is on its way out, but IMHO it's not a "drop everything and deal with it" emergency.

I agree roadie. I'm not having any issues or codes but since the connect was full of oil I guess a little preventive maintenance won't hurt. The screens had a little metal on them but not bad though.
 

berto1014

Original poster
Member
Dec 25, 2011
12
Thanks for the input guys. I will probably replace it in the near future.

:offtopic: Also, I can't help but to notice Roadie, your display picture looks an awfully lot like Jim Parsons.

View attachment 17629
 

Attachments

  • jim-parsons.jpg
    jim-parsons.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 61

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Member
Nov 19, 2011
9,957
Portland, OR
berto1014 said:
...Also, I can't help but to notice Roadie, your display picture looks an awfully lot like Jim Parsons. ...
You saw through my disguise. I *am* Sheldon Cooper. My alternate avatar is the Arrogant Bastard Ale devil guy, but since leaving trailvoy, I promised to be nicer to noobs and less snarky.
 

Guenther

Member
Dec 7, 2011
65
I just got a nice little surprise when I went to the dealership to pick up my CPAS. I was talking with the parts manager who I have know for several years and showed him on my phone the prices from GMpartdirect with shipping ($48). He said "screw that" and would give me close to the wholesale price any time I wanted. So after 6% Iowa sales tax my CPAS cost me $45. I told him that I didn't expect him to do that and just get around what the online guys were doing with shipping because I prefer to do business local. He said it wasn't a problem and he's still making around 35% because I believe dealers get 50% off list cost. He understands that a still healthy margin of profit is better than not getting sale at list. Happy new year to me :wootwoot:
 

Matt

Member
Dec 2, 2011
4,030
the roadie said:
I promised to be nicer to noobs and less snarky.

You do give good snark though!
 

07Blazerman

Member
Dec 4, 2011
102
Guenther said:
I just got a nice little surprise when I went to the dealership to pick up my CPAS. I was talking with the parts manager who I have know for several years and showed him on my phone the prices from GMpartdirect with shipping ($48). He said "screw that" and would give me close to the wholesale price any time I wanted. So after 6% Iowa sales tax my CPAS cost me $45. I told him that I didn't expect him to do that and just get around what the online guys were doing with shipping because I prefer to do business local. He said it wasn't a problem and he's still making around 35% because I believe dealers get 50% off list cost. He understands that a still healthy margin of profit is better than not getting sale at list. Happy new year to me :wootwoot:

Nice, I will have to try that the next time I am at the dealer.:thumbsup:
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,438
Posts
639,266
Members
18,655
Latest member
Jaywebb25

Members Online

No members online now.