Comprehensive Saab 9-7x Review

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
Before I begin, I have no idea where to put this, so I guess it'll go here.

2005 9-7 Six-Month Ownership Review

Well, I’m just about to hit the six-month mark in my 9-7x. It’s the 4.2. Major differences between the Saab and it’s Chevy/GMC stablemates are:

AWD, no low range.
More noise dampening and overall refinement.
Sits 1” lower over the TB/Envoy. Mine is on Trailblazer factory springs so it sits 1.5” higher than a stock 9-7x.
Larger front sway bar.
Clear jewel tail lamps.
Projector headlights and fog lamps.
Steering response is much better.
Center mounted ignition.
Base model comes fully loaded with XM, OnStar, Heated Leather, Power Moonroof, Automatic Climate, Steering wheel audio controls, Plastic woodgrain trim and a rear cargo shade.

Comparison: 2005 Trailblazer vs. 2005 9-7x

I drove a 2004 Trailblazer LT with 97k on it when I was shopping for an SUV. The Saab is much more nimble, quiet and comfortable.

I purchased my 2005 9-7x from a Cape Cod dealership for $5,500 with 114,800 on the clock. Was a one owner, dealer serviced, non-smoker truck. I came to the conclusion it was garaged as the frame and underside were in excellent shape.

Doing some research using listings from Cars.com, I found two 2005 Trailblazers in LT grade with all my options. XM/OnStar, Leather, Bose, Steering wheel controls, one with 112,656 and the other with 108, 828. Both were priced right around $6,300. So far, I've driven slightly over 15,000 miles without trouble.

Reason: The Saab depreciates much faster.

Reliability and Cost

Overall, the truck has been very reliable. It did take a ride on a tow truck just once. The throttle control failed, causing it to go into limp mode; I didn’t want to risk damaging anything. I replaced a faulty injector, which caused a horrible misfire and hard starts.

I’ve done basic work to it as well. Brakes, Tires, Sway bar links, Plug, Coils and a new air filter. In other words nothing that another vehicle wouldn’t require.

I average around 17.7 MPG in mixed driving, which isn’t bad.

Interior Fit and Finish

Even though it carries the Saab name, it has the same interior quality as the Trailblazer and Envoy. The center console squeaked horribly until I got in there and tightened it down. The drivers seat sags ever so slightly and the seat adjustment panel had to be drilled back into the seat frame. The quirky Saab pop out cup holder is totally useless, and snapped when subjected to a Diet Snapple bottle. Some of the buttons on the radio and HVAC controls have worn down to white. Lastly, the leather shift boot detached itself from the plastic chrome trim it’s attached to. The rear hatch glass doesn’t work and I have yet to fix it.

Exterior Fit and Finish

Peel back the Saab skin and it’s the same as a Trailblazer. The bumper cover mounting parts can fail causing bumper droop. The taillights let in moisture and fog up with condensation. Paint quality is good, but some spots are a bit poor.

Summary

The 9-7x is a great 5-passenger SUV. It’s solid, comfortable and refined. It was named one of Inside Line’s 10 Worst, and that’s total bullshit. It’s great. It’s lineage is a little messy but it really is a great truck. Don’t be put off by the Saab badge and the key in between the seats, since it shares so much of it’s underpinnings with the Trailblazer, parts are available and priced well. The only real exception is the body panels and the light assemblies. If you’re a stickler for dealer repairs don’t fret, most Chevy/GM dealerships can service it just fine. Fun fact: The fog lamps are the same as the Cobalt SS and Pontiac G6.

If you want a bulletproof Chevy platform with upscale features for around about five grand I suggest you stop here, because the 9-7x is a fantastic all around SUV with just a little alternative flare.

I foresee 250,000 miles out of this thing easily

Reactions: Capote and Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I wouldn't know where else to put this neither so this is as good a place as any.

Good review. I'd like to add to it if you don't mind.

I agree with all of your statements. Mine is a V8 and power is not lacking at all.

The AWD system sucks IMHO since it is just a part time system. When winter driven, when rear wheel slippage is detected, it will engage the front wheels as if in 4hi and it's all of a sudden. I call it the "slip/bang system". Then it slowly will disengage the front wheels. When not needed, the front differential and drive shaft are being spun by the front wheels, needlessly using more gas. I plan on either installing a 4x4 front disconnect and wiring it up or removing the front axles entirely.

Now that I'm back in my TB for the winter (Yay! real 4x4!), I have to say that I missed the cup holders, especially the large one in the middle, the space being taken up by the oddball ignition switch. Yeah, that dash mounted one is totally useless except to possibly hold a cell phone or very small cup of coffee if you trust it. Mine was broken and fixed it with some JBWeld.

The hoods on these trucks will rust at the front lip. It is very well documented and mine is Swiss cheese. A new one is possible but has to be shipped from Sweden (despite the fact these trucks were built in the USA) and is about $650CAD. Good used ones are rare. I bought a parts truck for its hood and it was rusted being patched up with filler. Keep an eye on your hood and at any sign of chips or rust, fix it!

Mine suffers from the broken tabs on the front bumper next to the headlights so those edges are sticking out. I'll have to take it off and see if I can figure a way to fix this.

I find the suspension much firmer on the 9-7x than the TB, despite the TB having newer Bilstein shocks/struts. Takes corners and turns well and not bouncy at all. But my TB is an EXT so it's like comparing it to a bus.

I have to say that I enjoy the Saab much more than the TB. More refined and comfortable but both suffer from the same lack of headroom. 6'2" and my hair is continuously touching the headliner. Very irritating. Another thing is I get a lot of looks and comments about it. The most common being "I didn't know Saab made an SUV". When I tell them them it's a TrailBlazer with Saab makeup, they're floored.

Some oddities I have discovered with this truck:
- When the engine is running, the RKE will not work. It does in my TB. Discovered this when I started it to warm it up and locked the doors. The remote would not open the doors (and my door key cylinder was corroded solid). Required a call to a tow truck to break into it.
- The 9-7x is the only GMT 360/370 that uses the Passkey III system with chipped keys. All others use chipless Passlock keys. So if you need a key, pay up.
- If you need parts and you go to a GM dealer, they will shun you like a bastard child. Anything mechanical from the same year TB or Envoy will fit. Anything specific to the 9-7x is just not available. Some body parts can be found at specialty import car parts shops. Used parts are expensive. Scope out headlights on eBay. $400 each without bulbs or ballasts!
- If you need an additional remote, grab one from a TB or Envoy and program it in. This would be great for a spare 3rd key.
- The high beams are non-adjustable. The projector lows are adjustable but the highs don't move. Mine are too low and there's nothing I can do. On other trucks, when you adjust the lows, the highs move with them.
- Owning both types, I am continuously confused about the ignition switch :duh:

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Nice review bud, I very much like the look of the 9-7x. Never ever hear anything majorly bad about it from owners. I would jump on the chance to get one if I could, to accompany my '04 Trailblazer.

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
Owning both types, I am continuously confused about the ignition switch

My 4.2 is plenty powerful. I'm extremely impressed with it.

When mine fails (and we all know it will) I'm horrified to think of it. I actually wasn't aware of the RKE, but where I live I'm not afraid to keep my truck open while warning up.

Before I got the 2005, I owned a 2006 97x for a month, it was destroyed in an accident on June 1st of this year, no injuries. Just a totaled Saab and a Chevy Cruze. Overall, the 2005 is in much, much better shape. The 2006 had the Xenon lights, one of which would flicker on of off. BUT, it also had a budding bit of rust on the hood. The guy I bought it from bondoed it, and added a stone chip texture, that almost looked like a bug shield. The 2005 has no rust yet. I'm currently thinking about how I can protect it.

After a very impromptu off-road expedition I ripped a part of the bumper and lost a fog lamp seriously I went back up that road in a proper off roader and couldn't find it. The bumper drooped for several months. Next time I'm in the daylight, I'll snap a picture of our genius fix. I looks a damn sight better.

I forgot to mention the single cup holder. I have a love for the smaller big-gulps, but when the truck is in park YOU CANT GET THE CUP OUT!

As for installing selectable 4x4, there's a guy over on Offroadtb that did it on his Bravada, there's his build thread. If you ever do this, please let me know and I'll find my way up north and we can do it on both trucks!

http://forums.offroadtb.com/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=6162&p=118759#p118759

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Sounds like that conversion would work but where to put the selector switch? And I wonder if there is any kind of communication between the TCCM and BCM? With Saab being Saab, our BCM is particular to our line because of the headlights, turn signals and the Passkey 3 system.

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
I'm really not sure how it'd work in our trucks. I'd personally mount a TB 4x4 switch either out of sight on a custom panel in the center console, or on the top part of the kick plate below the headlight switch near the steering wheel. I'm currently in the process of finding a clean EXT rear end to swap in to my 9-7x (with the locker). My local pull-a-part (whom I do a ton of work with) has a good one on the shelf for $125. Coat of black paint and all my brakes installed on it, and Hey! Presto, rear locker!

This week I'm doing a hardwire for my Garmin Nuvi 50LM, with switched power, mounted next to my radio at an angle. That fuseblock in the backseat is really handy. I'm finally upgrading to LED interior lights too.

Also, stay tuned to my "spare parts to carry with you" list. I think that MAY03LT's can be expanded quite a bit, plus I personally think people should see how I carry my tools and spares but make it a bit more universal to vehicles other than our GMT-360s.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chriswilson5585

Members Online