Completed: Guilford, IN Bonnell Road

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Not much of a offroading trip, but a place worth checking out. Used to really need 4x4 back when I first went down there, but it has been cleaned up and mud holes closed from misuse over the years. The old Devil's Staircase was a dirt n gravel rutted hill, but is now chip n seal pavement. Still has some cool scenery and some tunnels, bridges, and creek crossings.

Old county road that snakes over and under the RR tracks. At one point when the leaves are off, you can see part of an old train that came off the tracks and ended up in the creeks decades ago. Water levels greatly affect this area and right now it is really dry. While area is supposedly haunted as well.

Anyway, some pics of taking my girls out for a little adventure.

Had to teach the little one how to squat and pee in the wild since there is nothing around for about a 20-30 minute drive. Sliders help the preggo wife to do the same. Never thought of them as handles, but she said they work great.

First tunnel built in 1916 maybe

Having fun

Quality guardrail for no apparent reason

Maybe 18 inches deep as best, but ten feet over is a few feet deep, so you gotta watch where you go

Another tunnel

Another tunnel

Nothing difficult, but can be in right conditions. People bring atvs and SxS and Jeeps down all the time. When water is deeper, it has some fishing holes. Lots of the roads around have similar stuff to explore in the hills and valleys. Had some scary experiences..one with a skinny bridge, steep hill, and stock 1/2 ton. Needed 150 foot of strap, lifted powerstroke, neighbors telephone, and several beers after to get through un-hurt. However, it is a definitely a place the family wants to go back and explore.

One local road rally group gets $65 a vehicle to run this area with a map, but I think that would take out all the fun.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
This book is required reading for guests on my expeditions. Actually has some useful tips and tricks, although rock sliders aren't one of them. I better write to the author...:wink:

htsitw.jpg

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
looks like a nice trip, thanks for sharing :smile:

Scooter Scott

Dec 7, 2011
Surprisingly I've never been there...need to hit that up sometime soon with ya. How far is it from the ville?

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Scooter Scott said:
Surprisingly I've never been there...need to hit that up sometime soon with ya. How far is it from the ville?

Its only a few miles from New Alsace, but there is not a straight road out there and half the time I get confused. I meant to go through it the other way, but turned myself around on the way there. 20 miles maybe from bville.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
04envoyxlv8

Members Online