cold air intake

yodaddy4200

Feb 3, 2013
I was wondering how effective cutting some say 2-2.5in holes in the front of the air box would be at adding airflow?? From what ive read ill probably stick with the stock intake but who knows!:crazy: I just forgot what they were saying about the modded stock airbox. I think im gonna go look now actually!!

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
Fair consensus around these parts seems to be that the only thing they are good for is the sound.

xtitan1

Jun 5, 2013
[video=youtube;gCi2yo4UqPI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI[/video]

Check that out

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Seen the video. Definitely did not achieve any results for anything they tried. The only thing I have seen close to working is to build an aluminum box around the intake filter leaving the top open and pack it with dry ice for "real" cold air effect. Not sure what long term effects that would have on the engine though.

I have had my K&N intake for a couple years now and have not seen much improvement with HP (Unless I am driving at 4500rpm which is what their dyno sheets show you will achieve your HP and Torque) or MPGs. I did not get much sound out of the intake until I replaced the air intake resonator with a 3.5" OD tube. I can hear the intake now. The engine and exhaust have a different tone as well.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
FWIW I have seen an increase in mpgs with my K&N. Most noticeably on highway in the summer. Some folks say the adverse risks of using oil on an air filter can and will damage the MAF sensor. I've seen no problems but I'm pretty thorough about letting it properly dry.

I get 21consistently and 22-24if I really baby it. Pretty sure winter and city would be worse without it.

Volant is all for sound in my eyes. Any gains will be at the high end like Dmanns stated

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Playsinsnow said:
FWIW I have seen an increase in mpgs with my K&N. Most noticeably on highway in the summer. Some folks say the adverse risks of using oil on an air filter can and will damage the MAF sensor. I've seen no problems but I'm pretty thorough about letting it properly dry.

I get 21consistently and 22-24if I really baby it. Pretty sure winter and city would be worse without it.

Volant is all for sound in my eyes. Any gains will be at the high end like Dmanns stated

The only issue I have encountered using the oiled filter was self induced. I oiled my filter a little too much after cleaning it. The excess oil made it way into the MAF sensor which caused my truck to sputter at 55mph. I cleaned the MAF and dialed back the amount of oil I use and have had no problems with it.

rcam81

Dec 3, 2011
Onsted, MI
dmanns67 said:
The only issue I have encountered using the oiled filter was self induced. I oiled my filter a little too much after cleaning it. The excess oil made it way into the MAF sensor which caused my truck to sputter at 55mph. I cleaned the MAF and dialed back the amount of oil I use and have had no problems with it.

I have had a K&N CAI on my TB for 70K of its 73K miles. I clean it once a year and clean the MAF sensor a couple of weeks later to get the excess oil off of it. I tow a 3500 lb boat. The throttle response at the low end seems better since I got the tune and the CAI. I haven't had any issues with warranty work either due to the mods. Like everyone is saying.... do your research and then make your decision.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Should add I just rolled 100k miles a few weeks ago with my K&N filter and have never cleaned my maf sensor. Oil it every spring/late fall.

xtitan1

Jun 5, 2013
Playsinsnow said:
FWIW I have seen an increase in mpgs with my K&N.

Interesting, obviously this wasn't tested in the video. Of course, if it's purely just MPGs, you'd have to calculate how much money it would save you and compare that to how much money it would cost to install.

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
I have the Volant. I like it. Can't say if it added power for sure but I do like the fact it uses an enclosed box for relatively cooler air as opposed to the hotter air version by K&N.

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
I bought the AIRAID kit right after I bought the TB. Since I am too lazy/busy to clean and reinstall the same day, I bought a universal K&N cone to use when the AIRAID is dirty. They both perform the same way as far as I am concerned. The 100% best thing I ever did for my truck is getting the PCM tuned by PCMforless. Search on here and you'll find tons of good info. I did the loaner program and they had mine back to me tuned in just a few days. Having had the opportunity to drive a bone stock 2003 TB a few weeks ago I can tell you that thing was a dog. You can work with them to get your tune done the exact way you want (better mpgs, towing, top speed whatever).

Hands down the best thing I ever did for my ride. I would skip the CAI all together (again, if you like the sound, do it they do sound awesome) but I highly recommend the tune.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
I would say a cai is effective if you follow the path through the manifold and heads where more flow is actually present and at that point you are 2k into modification soo CAI on a stocker is a look and sound thing

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
rcam81 said:
I have had a K&N CAI on my TB for 70K of its 73K miles. I clean it once a year and clean the MAF sensor a couple of weeks later to get the excess oil off of it. I tow a 3500 lb boat. The throttle response at the low end seems better since I got the tune and the CAI. I haven't had any issues with warranty work either due to the mods. Like everyone is saying.... do your research and then make your decision.

I am quite the opposite with my cleaning schedule. I clean and oil the filter every 6,000 miles and after my first issue with the MAF sensor, I clean it at the same time as well.

I do agree about the tune. The throttle response is greatly increased. I have only had my tune for about a week, but have had the intake for over two years. Since getting my PCM tuned, I can tell a difference at all RPM ranges with my intake. Although, I did not have the tune with the stock intake so I have no comparison to go by. It is too early to see how many MPGs I will have gained with the tune and CAI together.

On another note, I did gain 1 MPG after I removed my air intake resonator, which was unexpected. Now my intake screams at higher RPMs and also gives the engine and exhaust a different sound.

Grimor

Mar 28, 2013
Pittdawg said:
I have the Volant. I like it. Can't say if it added power for sure but I do like the fact it uses an enclosed box for relatively cooler air as opposed to the hotter air version by K&N.

I did a lot of logging of intake temp, coolant temp, speed, air temp, etc... Both with and without the K&N tube wrapped in heat insulation/tape.. While it did slow the raise in intake temp a little while sitting; as soon as you start moving again, the intake temp goes right back down. So unless you spend a lot of time stopped or driving under 15mph, there was no difference in intake temp once you start moving. Once moving, the intake temp wasn't much above outside temp (~8 degrees or so warmer on average)

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
xtitan1 said:
Interesting, obviously this wasn't tested in the video. Of course, if it's purely just MPGs, you'd have to calculate how much money it would save you and compare that to how much money it would cost to install.

I love numbers. Quickly crunching some...

At 100k averaging 17mpgs (got 18.5mpg combined last tank) from the 16 I got the first month of owning, with gas being $3 gallon, I've saved, AT A VERY CONSERVATIVE ESTIMATE, over $1100! For a $75? filter and maybe another $100tops in oil over last 6years. The hard number would be higher. $1500maybe paying closer to $4 a US gallon and getting 2-3mpg higher mpg highway.

I bought just the K&N filter knowing I would be spending a winter out west driving many miles, with several thousand miles of towing anticipated too. Figured it would give me a little extra breathe when I scream up 10,000 ft passes. Love me my TB!

Now I just have to ride in someone's GMT w a pcm4less tune.

xtitan1

Jun 5, 2013
Playsinsnow said:
I love numbers. Quickly crunching some...

At 100k averaging 17mpgs (got 18.5mpg combined last tank) from the 16 I got the first month of owning, with gas being $3 gallon, I've saved, AT A VERY CONSERVATIVE ESTIMATE, over $1100! For a $75? filter and maybe another $100tops in oil over last 6years. The hard number would be higher. $1500maybe paying closer to $4 a US gallon and getting 2-3mpg higher mpg highway.

I bought just the K&N filter knowing I would be spending a winter out west driving many miles, with several thousand miles of towing anticipated too. Figured it would give me a little extra breathe when I scream up 10,000 ft passes. Love me my TB!

Now I just have to ride in someone's GMT w a pcm4less tune.

Damn, I guess even 1 MPG really saves up in the long run. Are you 100% it gets you that? You should use the money you saved to get the tune!!

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
A small bit of information for noobs looking to make the leap...

The PCMs in our trucks will adapt to any system changes that you make in a matter of a few drive cycles, to put you back within the stock programmed parameters. So changing your air filter, or putting in a CAI, without a tune isn't going to yield much (if any) real performance improvement, or for very long. You'll get a different look under the hood and change in sound, that's it.

For the cost of the K&N, Volant, or what the other manufactures charge, you are better off to build your own intake for much cheaper, and spend the savings on getting a tune. :twocents:

Some light reading :book:

http://gmtnation.com/f25/diy-air-intake-intake-air-temp-sensor-582/

http://gmtnation.com/f23/k-n-air-filters-better-worse-1621/

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
xtitan1 said:
Damn, I guess even 1 MPG really saves up in the long run. Are you 100% it gets you that? You should use the money you saved to get the tune!!

Bet my left nut on that number. Like with a tune, it is all on how the driver drives and how that driving affects mpgs.
The money wasn't necessarily "saved" just spent elsewhere! Lol, Lift tickets, recreation, GAS.

xtitan1

Jun 5, 2013
Playsinsnow said:
Bet my left nut on that number. Like with a tune, it is all on how the driver drives and how that driving affects mpgs.
The money wasn't necessarily "saved" just spent elsewhere! Lol, Lift tickets, recreation, GAS.

LOL I kept reading that as "re-creation" and I'm like what the hell is re-creation? :undecided: Some sort of Civil War reenactment thing? :duh:

xtitan1

Jun 5, 2013
Blckshdw said:
A small bit of information for noobs looking to make the leap...

The PCMs in our trucks will adapt to any system changes that you make in a matter of a few drive cycles, to put you back within the stock programmed parameters. So changing your air filter, or putting in a CAI, without a tune isn't going to yield much (if any) real performance improvement, or for very long. You'll get a different look under the hood and change in sound, that's it.

For the cost of the K&N, Volant, or what the other manufactures charge, you are better off to build your own intake for much cheaper, and spend the savings on getting a tune. :twocents:

Some light reading :book:

http://gmtnation.com/f25/diy-air-intake-intake-air-temp-sensor-582/

http://gmtnation.com/f23/k-n-air-filters-better-worse-1621/

Very good reads. The below link was within one of those posts and was extremely informative.

ISO 5011 Duramax Air Filter Test Report

The gist: the ACDelco is far and away the winner over any aftermarket filters tested. It catches more particulate than others, holds onto that particulate for longer than others before getting needing to be changed, lets more air in than others (higher flow), keeps letting air in even as it gets dirty more than others (slower restriction of air flow due to getting dirty).

The other interesting thing was from Bartonmd who said:

Bartonmd said:
Not really, for us non-SS guys, especially... The stock filter has plenty of media, and isn't really restrictive at all, to begin with... 99% of the 1-2hp improvement you see from a K&N in these is from the larger diameter, smoother tube...

Mike

Which would explain how Playsinsnow got the MPG benefit, and hence probably why Blckshdw is recommending the DIY CAI just to get that larger diameter smoother tube and then just using the money towards a tune.

duckyweed

Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
Staten Island New York
Wow!! overwhelmed by the responses and info about the cai. all the links to everything was very helpful in my decision making. I think I will stay with the stock air box for now.Big thanks for all the info. :thumbsup:

- - - Updated - - -

Wow!! overwhelmed by the responses and info about the cai. all the links to everything was very helpful in my decision making. I think I will stay with the stock air box for now.Big thanks for all the info. :thumbsup:

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Home brew is always the best way to go. Using PVC works as a benefit over the metal tubed intakes, as the metal tends to absorb a lot of heat from under the hood, while the PVC will insulate a bit better.

As for the question about drilling holes, some of us have removed the second inner shell and front from our intake covers. This essentially opens the from of cover to any available air. I have monitored my IAT sensor on trips and have seen differences in ambient air temp vs the IAT temp. I cannot remember the difference but I want to say it was in the range 25-30 degrees lower than ambient temps.

Here is a link to thread for my intake build.

http://gmtnation.com/f33/new-intake-2378/

As for the video, it is full of in accuracy and bad technique. I understand the premise behind their technique, but it leaves put a lot of real world variables.

Grimor

Mar 28, 2013
blazinlow89 said:
I cannot remember the difference but I want to say it was in the range 25-30 degrees lower than ambient temps.

Are you saying colder than outside temp?

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Grimor said:
Are you saying colder than outside temp?

Yes. Vaguely off the top of my head I remember reading about 75-80 on the IAT through torque, outside air temp was over 90. Traveling on I95 in July doing about 80 mph. I notice a better average on cool spring and early fall nights. Usually when the air is cool and moist.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
blazinlow89 said:
Yes. Vaguely off the top of my head I remember reading about 75-80 on the IAT through torque, outside air temp was over 90. Traveling on I95 in July doing about 80 mph. I notice a better average on cool spring and early fall nights. Usually when the air is cool and moist.

Do you have an intercooler somewhere in your setup? After getting up to running temp, mine runs a minimum of 10 degrees above ambient temp.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Blckshdw said:
Do you have an intercooler somewhere in your setup? After getting up to running temp, mine runs a minimum of 10 degrees above ambient temp.

I will run some testing again this weekend, have a 2 hour drive to see some family so I can get some good numbers. Maybe I hit a cool patch of air or something, I was in the Georgia/Florida border area when I seen the numbers. I have seen similar differences when driving at night. 70 degrees ambient with around 45-55 on the IAT.

Like I have said in the past, the front of the intake cover is open. I also have the grille with headlight washer holes, I have also cut out the plastic in the center of the headlight in front of the intake to allow note fresh air into the intake cover. I will post more data this weekend. Supposed to be 85.

Grimor

Mar 28, 2013
blazinlow89 said:
I will run some testing again this weekend, have a 2 hour drive to see some family so I can get some good numbers. Maybe I hit a cool patch of air or something, I was in the Georgia/Florida border area when I seen the numbers. I have seen similar differences when driving at night. 70 degrees ambient with around 45-55 on the IAT.

Like I have said in the past, the front of the intake cover is open. I also have the grille with headlight washer holes, I have also cut out the plastic in the center of the headlight in front of the intake to allow note fresh air into the intake cover. I will post more data this weekend. Supposed to be 85.

Unless you are cooling the air by some means, your Intake temp can't be colder than ambient.

Here's a log from ~7:15 - 9:15 driving to the midwest meet. Ambient temps ranged from 60 - 75 degrees during the trip. Once moving over 40mph you're getting pretty much max air flow into the air box with intake temps holding steady at 2-6 degrees above ambient.
Midwest meet Intake temps

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Sorry but I agree with the above. Something is wrong. It is NOT physically possible to have your IAT lower than the ambient air.

There is no such thing as a 'wind chill effect' on a mechanical object.

There are no advantages to a CAI other than increased noise. If you look at it from a scientific viewpoint and get rid of all the marketing claims and perceived seat-of-the-pants feel, there is no way one can detect a 5% increase in power anyway.

A 'cold air intake system' replaces a very scientifically-designed factory air-to-air intercooler system with a few dollars in cheap tin. It replaces relatively cool intake air with hot engine compartment air.

Ask anyone who has done takeoff distance figures and gross weight calculations at density altitude for airplanes. Hot air is less dense.

All I got from my K&N installation is more intake noise. It lasted one day and I took it back off.

I left the intake on but took off the stupid $5 tin compartment and reinstalled the factory airbox. (It slips back on with no alterations needed.)

A close look at the design of the factory airbox will show how it is a true air-to-air intercooler, plus designed to keep water out of your intake in a very heavy rainstorm or while crossing deep puddles. (Ask GM about why they redesigned the air intake on the 2000 Chev Impala Police Interceptor after more than one agency hydrolocked their engines while driving down roads after torrential rains.)

Plus, it got rid of most of the teenager noise and it only growls when I really put my foot into it. (Which is as often as I can, by the way.)

My opinion, of course ...

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Chickenhawk said:
Sorry but I agree with the above. Something is wrong. It is NOT physically possible to have your IAT lower than the ambient air.

There is no such thing as a 'wind chill effect' on a mechanical object.

There are no advantages to a CAI other than increased noise. If you look at it from a scientific viewpoint and get rid of all the marketing claims and perceived seat-of-the-pants feel, there is no way one can detect a 5% increase in power anyway.

A 'cold air intake system' replaces a very scientifically-designed factory air-to-air intercooler system with a few dollars in cheap tin. It replaces relatively cool intake air with hot engine compartment air.

Ask anyone who has done takeoff distance figures and gross weight calculations at density altitude for airplanes. Hot air is less dense.

All I got from my K&N installation is more intake noise. It lasted one day and I took it back off.

I left the intake on but took off the stupid $5 tin compartment and reinstalled the factory airbox. (It slips back on with no alterations needed.)

A close look at the design of the factory airbox will show how it is a true air-to-air intercooler, plus designed to keep water out of your intake in a very heavy rainstorm or while crossing deep puddles. (Ask GM about why they redesigned the air intake on the 2000 Chev Impala Police Interceptor after more than one agency hydrolocked their engines while driving down roads after torrential rains.)

Plus, it got rid of most of the teenager noise and it only growls when I really put my foot into it. (Which is as often as I can, by the way.)

My opinion, of course ...

Very good point. 25-30 degrees below ambient temperature is hard to believe using a standard intake, unless he is packing the stock airbox with dry ice :undecided:

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Guess its time to start trouble shooting then. I got my dongle back from a friend who was having some engine trouble last night. I ran torque and the IAT was reading 62, which was 8 degrees below ambient. This was sitting still. I know what I seen during the drive I was talking about and never thought that maybe me IAT might be reading in accurately. I am picking a new one up from Auto Zone later. Guess I realize now how asinine my claims are after some research and your guys input. I will report back with new date.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Went during lunch and picked up the new sensor. Delphi replacement, and got a buddy to price match online. Cost was $20. Doing some logging driving back and the new sensor is reading 85 degrees in the tube, outside temp is 78. Now I need to do some long drive logging to get a more accurate reading of temps at highway speeds. Makes me wonder how long its been bad, Last trip to FL was about 2 years ago. Also wonder if and how its affected my MPG.

Sorry for the bad into guys.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
Grimor said:
I hope not, 62C is 143F... that would mean his intake temp is close to coolant temp and that's not good.

i've seen it get that hot in the staging lanes at the drag strip, with a FWI. when your radiator is throwing off that much heat its not out of the question.

Grimor

Mar 28, 2013
jimmyjam said:
i've seen it get that hot in the staging lanes at the drag strip, with a FWI. when your radiator is throwing off that much heat its not out of the question.

I wasn't saying it wasn't possible standing still, but he was talking about his moving temp. In theory on a still day your intake can reach 150+, hopefully your fan will kick in before that and give at least a little air flow.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zee0719

Members Online