Code p0495

Southernboy08

Original poster
Oct 14, 2012
I got the code a few weeks ago and I changed out the fan this weekend. Everything was fine until this morning the code came back up again. Over July 4th weekend the fusebox had a melt down and we had to replace it and the 2 biggest couplers because of burnt plastic. Everything swapped fine but as soon as I started it up the p0495 code came up. Where do I look first for this problem? The old fan was locked up but did the new lock up already or is the fusebox the cause of it?

jonbo2002

Sep 27, 2012
did the wiring to the fan get damaged when the fuse box melted down? That is all I can think of but someone else with more knowledge of our fan should chime in soon.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
It may just be a bad cooling fan relay. Pull the relay in the fuse block, clear the code and go for a short drive. If the code doesn't return it's likely the relay was bad. If it does return then I'd suspect the fan clutch.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Definitely go over the wiring to the fan and check the plug itself. Maybe the new clutch got damaged during the meltdown as well.

Southernboy08

Original poster
Oct 14, 2012
Ok tried swapping relays to see if it was bad but it still did it. I changed to the new clutch Sunday Monday and Tuesday it drove fine then Wednesday morning as I turned the key the code popped up again. The fan was locked in the on position again. So is there some type of sensor that controls the fan or just the relay? I looked over the wiring but no wires are raw or anything. So I'm thinking that a sensor or something went bad. I don't know. We are going to look over again this weekend to see if there is any problems with the wiring. Any more suggestions? I may just break down and send it to pcm4less and out an electric fan on it in the next few weeks if I can't figure it out. In not buying another clutch fan. I know for sure the old one was stuck but can't figure out why the new is doing it too

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Does the fan sound like a jet engine? When it's locked up, it sounds like that. It is possible that the white wire to the fan is shorted to 12V+, which would in effect command the fan to run full 100%. Can you stop the fan with a rag in your hand? Try unplugging the fan and see what the PCM does as far as error codes. The fan should freewheel and can be stopped with a rag.

The only sensor is in the fan clutch itself for the fan speed. The PCM commands a certain speed to the fan via the relay and if it doesn't see that speed from the sensor in the clutch, it throws a code. There is a remote chance you got a lemon of a clutch. What brand fan did you use?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zee0719

Members Online