Coasting? Is it just me?

fishguy1123

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I've only had the TB since august but it seems to coast really well. Doesn't slow as much as I would have thought. Flat, uphill, downhill doesn't seem to matter. I don't feel it's a bad thing just wonderd if I was crazy or has anyone else thought the same thing?

Canadian Mike

Dec 3, 2011
RedEnvoyDenal said:
Mine coasts really well downhill

So much that while on cruise control, the DIC sometimes displays "Vehicle Overspeed" and the Voy begins to brake. :mad:

Dec 4, 2011
Canadian Mike said:
So much that while on cruise control, the DIC sometimes displays "Vehicle Overspeed" and the Voy begins to brake. :mad:

Never seen that I will have to keep a look out for the that message. On the other hand Saskatchewan and Kansas have something in common, the horizon is about 100 miles away. :rotfl:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
fishguy1123 said:
At least now I know I'm not crazy... lol

Wouldn't that depend on a few other things? :biggrin:

I know I am on the brakes more than people in front of me going down hill.

fishguy1123

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
djthumper said:
Wouldn't that depend on a few other things? :biggrin:

I know I am on the brakes more than people in front of me going down hill.

Just don't ask my ex-wife? :rotfl:

Dec 4, 2011
fishguy1123 said:
In that case I recomend you only go down hill from now on! :raspberry:

I agree with you. Which switch on the dash do I push to always go downhill. :confused::biggrin:

fishguy1123

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
RedEnvoyDenal said:
I agree with you. Which switch on the dash do I push to always go downhill. :confused::biggrin:

I think that was a delete for Cananda only thing. :rotfl: Sorry bout ur luck... lol

Dec 4, 2011
fishguy1123 said:
I think that was a delete for Cananda only thing. :rotfl: Sorry bout ur luck... lol

I bought my truck in Wisconsin that's why I thought I should have the switch. Must have had it removed when I brought it home and crossed the boarder.

fishguy1123

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
RedEnvoyDenal said:
I bought my truck in Wisconsin that's why I thought I should have the switch. Must have had it removed when I brought it home and crossed the boarder.

Customs is a bitch! :eek:

Dec 4, 2011
fishguy1123 said:
Customs is a bitch! :eek:

We agree. Perhaps we should cease and desist before we get banned for hijacking this thread. But it has been fun.

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
I generally drive in 3rd in town, just to add a little more drag. Otherwise I spend a lot of time on the brakes trying to avoid the people in front of me.

Wex

Dec 4, 2011
The automatic would coast even more but I believe its designed with drag built into it. Imagine it coasting almost as sweet as if in neutral. It is all a safety thing I am sure.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
If you watch the tach, you'll notice that it is not really coasting. I know the converter clutch is locked and it might appear, that the rear wheels are turning the motor, but in reality, the PCM, along with the electronic gas pedal (drive-by-wire)and the electronically controlled throttle body, keeps the truck rolling with a little gas applied even though your off the gas.

Touch the brake, and the PCM pulls the throttle body back to idle.

I noticed this "feature" just after I bought the '05 Envoy and thinking there was a problem, I roamed around on the web, that was how I found the "old site".

We also have a '08 Saturn Astra (a re-branded Opal Astra), built in Europe, it has a great feature when coasting down hills; touch the brake, and the tranny downshifts to 3rd, remove brake and it stays in 3rd, just touch the gas and it up-shifts to 4th. I like it a lot. The tranny will also shift into "N" when stopped at a red light (or any other light colour :biggrin: ), touch the gas and it shifts into Drive.

fishguy1123

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
RayVoy said:
If you watch the tach, you'll notice that it is not really coasting. I know the converter clutch is locked and it might appear, that the rear wheels are turning the motor, but in reality, the PCM, along with the electronic gas pedal (drive-by-wire)and the electronically controlled throttle body, keeps the truck rolling with a little gas applied even though your off the gas.

Touch the brake, and the PCM pulls the throttle body back to idle.

I noticed this "feature" just after I bought the '05 Envoy and thinking there was a problem, I roamed around on the web, that was how I found the "old site".

We also have a '08 Saturn Astra (a re-branded Opal Astra), built in Europe, it has a great feature when coasting down hills; touch the brake, and the tranny downshifts to 3rd, remove brake and it stays in 3rd, just touch the gas and it up-shifts to 4th. I like it a lot. The tranny will also shift into "N" when stopped at a red light (or any other light colour :biggrin: ), touch the gas and it shifts into Drive.

Hmm.... I'll have to try that and see what happens. Thanks for the info.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
fishguy1123 said:
Hmm.... I'll have to try that and see what happens. Thanks for the info.
When I first noticed this condition, I thought I was experiencing a "sticky" gas pedal, and that the pedal was not returning to the up position (at that time, my mind was stuck in the old mechanical linkage mode). A big, heavy, four wheel drive truck has lots of rolling resistance, it should not rolling faster than the little sedan in front of it.

Just kick it into neutral, the rpms won't change. If the rear wheels were driving the engine, the engine would fall to idle as soon as the push from the rear wheels was removed. When I tried that, the rpms changed very little, if at all, proof that the rpms are under control of the PCM.

Don37725

Dec 8, 2011
RayVoy said:
When I first noticed this condition, I thought I was experiencing a "sticky" gas pedal, and that the pedal was not returning to the up position (at that time, my mind was stuck in the old mechanical linkage mode). A big, heavy, four wheel drive truck has lots of rolling resistance, it should not rolling faster than the little sedan in front of it.

Just kick it into neutral, the rpms won't change. If the rear wheels were driving the engine, the engine would fall to idle as soon as the push from the rear wheels was removed. When I tried that, the rpms changed very little, if at all, proof that the rpms are under control of the PCM.

Same here - I agree - I shifted to neutral going down a long grade and the tach went up a few notches instead of down - computers are great except when they act dumber than dirt.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online