CO327

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
Is that a question? :confused:

If you are looking for info on this issue here is a good read, I simply went to google and searched the code you entered above.

Click here

Don't stay there too long, all the guys that started and ran that site are now here. We just use that site sometimes for archives. :thumbsup:

64falconcpe

Original poster
Dec 25, 2014
Thanks checked out your recommended site.
Still lost though don't know if the re-con TCCM or re-con encoder motor is the culprit?

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
Well bro we can't completely diagnose you problem over the internet. This is going to require participation on your part. There are ways to figure it out in that thread, also you can try googling some additional information. Or take it to a shop and have it diagnosed?

There is a LOT of info on 4x4 issues right here on this site.

Maybe you will get lucky and The Wizard known as The Roadie will take time out of his busy schedule to look in his crystal ball and tell you exactly what is wrong. Who knows? The Roadie.

64falconcpe

Original poster
Dec 25, 2014
Yea I started out on the off road section with an equally vague post have since updated it though with scanner info and some history.
I'm really hoping to get the 4x4 working without throwing too much more money at the thing.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
DTC C0327
Circuit Description
The transfer case encoder is an analog sensor that returns a signal that represents the physical position of the transfer case sector shaft. This signal represents the mode, or range, position that the transfer case is currently in. This sensor is made up of the following 3 circuits:
A 5 volt reference circuit
An encoder signal circuit
An encoder low reference circuit
This DTC detects an out of range reading from the encoder signal, a short to voltage on the 5 volt reference, encoder circuit.

DTC Descriptor
This diagnostic procedure supports the following DTC:
DTC C0327 Encoder Circuit Malfunction

Conditions for Setting the DTC
The transfer case shift control module has a predefined range in which the encoder feedback should stay within, which is 0.5 - 4.5 volts . The DTC sets if the encoder signal feedback falls out of this range.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
All motor activity will stop and the transfer case lock will engage.
The SERVICE 4WD indicator remains illuminated for the remainder of the current ignition cycle.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC
The transfer case shift control module will clear the DTC if the condition for setting the DTC is not currently present.
A history DTC will clear after 100 consecutive ignition cycles without a fault present.
History DTCs can be cleared using a scan tool.

64falconcpe

Original poster
Dec 25, 2014
Thanks for the feed back very use full.

My scanner readings are as follows:
ENC Supply 3.37v
ENC RTN 0.02v
Mode SW RTN 4.08

If I understand your post correctly the ENC RTN 0.02 voltage is too low for the TCCM to operate.

So in my mind either the encoder ring is defective or there is a hard wire connection problem, I'll start tracing wires because its cheaper and a 4x4 problem existed before I bought the truck.

Hate to think that I through so much money at this truck because of a bad connection but at this point I'm hopeful it just sucks that I let me fool myself into fixing things that may not have been broken.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
64falconcpe said:
Thanks for the feed back very use full.

My scanner readings are as follows:
ENC Supply 3.37v
ENC RTN 0.02v
Mode SW RTN 4.08

If I understand your post correctly the ENC RTN 0.02 voltage is too low for the TCCM to operate.

So in my mind either the encoder ring is defective or there is a hard wire connection problem, I'll start tracing wires because its cheaper and a 4x4 problem existed before I bought the truck.

Hate to think that I through so much money at this truck because of a bad connection but at this point I'm hopeful it just sucks that I let me fool myself into fixing things that may not have been broken.
Tracing wires and checking connections would be a good place to start, perhaps there is a short-to-ground somewhere. Mind if I ask what scanner you use, by the way?

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
64falconcpe said:
It is a Snap-on borrowed from my brother in-law.
Cool. I'm poking around at an advanced scanner that lets me see all those little details, I may end up going through eBay or something though as I'm not too excited about 4-digit prices.

Have you ordered a replacement encoder motor yet? I believe Dorman offers a replacement though I'm not sure on its reliability compared to OEM, I'm sure someone around here has that answer and if it's a good option it'd likely save you a good bit of money.

Reactions: 64falconcpe

64falconcpe

Original poster
Dec 25, 2014
Thank you!

After I left here the other day I found your post containing the technical service bulletins and it gave me a tremendous insight into the ( What I consider ) newer vehicles and computer tech. being used 10 years ago (damn am I old)?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mynamesjeff

Members Online