Clunking sound in suspension w video

palitoiii

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
So ive been having a clunking sound for over a year and a half. Its gotten worse. Before you would here it sometimes. Now on certain bumps and dips in the road cluncking. Its so annoying. Ive looked underneath and pulled on eveything. The only thing i saw that looked loose is the driverside axle. Lots of play in it. Both boots on that side are shot. So that axle needs to be replaced. Today i brought it to my mechanic they drove with me in it they heard it. Put it on lift and moved everything. NOTHING,,, Cant find what it is.. All my end-links are new and stabalizer bushings also.. Could it be axles in the front I mean both of them are shot. But mechanic said that noise is not axles. What can it be? :frown:

http://vid76.photobucket.com/albums/j20/palitoiii/IMG_1410_zps1jqxuj28.mp4

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That is loud. Usually, it's only subtle enough for the human ear to pick up but not mics. Sounds like a metal to metal contact. Did you check the exhaust? What about the suspension arm bushings? Running board bolts? I'd be going all over the underside and tapping stuff with a rubber mallet.

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
try rocking the truck side to side and while in park, try pushing it forward and back. does it make noise then? It sounds like hollow metal that is being banged on so maybe something in the control arms? Like previously mentioned, get a rubber mallet and start banging on the truck or if you hear the noise when rocking your truck, have a buddy rock your truck while you go under and listen around to hear exactly where it comes from and when you locate what general area it is coming from, put your hand on parts and see if you can feel it knocking around.

Do you hear it clunk when putting it in and out of gear?

palitoiii

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
It does do the sound when I'm braking and just about at a dead stop.. Not all the time though.. I wonder if it's something connected to the transfercase? Or my rear stabilizer bar bushings? I need to fix it, it's really annoying.. Drove to Manhattan this past Monday wow with all the bumps and dips in road my TB was clunking everywhere.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Have you checked all the brake dust shields?
The shields above the exhaust have also been known to become loose and rattle.
Is there any change when you change the transfer switch (2HI-4AWD-4HI-4LO)?
Has the t-case fluid been changed every 50K miles?

Reactions: Mooseman

palitoiii

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I have 160,000 miles never changed transfer case fluid or rear end.. Should I even do it or is it too late to change? Today I'll be checking those heat shields and the rear stabilizer bar bushings, also the front control arm bushings.. I'll be u sub a rubber mallet.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's never too late to do the TCase fluid. Better late than never. It has a relatively short 50k mile interval and has documented failure if neglected. Diffs have a longer interval but are less likely to fail but a good idea to do them regardless.

Good luck on your hunt.

{tpc}

Jan 22, 2014
I know on my 5.3 the heat shield was loose when i got the truck (used). I'd change the fluids, if something was to happen as a result (personally I don't think it would) then it was only going to happen at some point anyways.

T-case fluid was the easiest thing I have done so far. Rear diff wasn't too far behind, just took time to clean off all the old gasket stuff...that was a pain, but more because of where everything is at and its time consuming.

palitoiii

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
So I just finished putting it on up on the ramps and got under it. Thing is right before i put on ramps i entered driveway but leaving my door open and my head out to listen.. It did the sound.. I backed up went foward the clunk is there. The sound comes from around under the driverside seat to the front.. So I get under it and started hitting with the rubber mallet. Checked all including heat shields and rear stabalizer bar bushing. Only thing that is loose is the

1. driverside axle
2. Tranfercase driveshaft that goes to the front. Is it supposed to be this way? Or is it supposed to be tight? Here is a video of the 4x4 drive shaft noise.
http://vid76.photobucket.com/albums/j20/palitoiii/IMG_1414_zpshzgra6cu.mp4

{tpc}

Jan 22, 2014
I think if you can wiggle it around by hand (when it is off of course) and you can see play in the u-joint, then you need a new u-joint(s). The driverside axle shouldn't be "loose", what do you mean by that? The axle nut is loose? Or there is play in the cv joint?

Both those things could make noise I bet.

palitoiii

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Driver side axle is loose also, if I put my hand between boots and move it.. It moves and makes lots of noise play in the cv joint.. Basically the axle is shot cause both boots are broken.. But the main clunking sound I think is from the transfercase driveshaft. I see a u joint on the front side but what is on the back side like u see in video?

{tpc}

Jan 22, 2014
I believe that piece is the front propeller shaft. I am uncertain if it needs some amount of play in it or not, but from the description of the sound, the sound it self, and the sound it was making in the last video, you might have found the issue.

I'm sure someone else will chime in soon enough. I was thinking it was more of the u-joint, which I think is on the other end? But in any case, now that I think about it, I don't think that driveshaft would be turning, unless you drive in auto 4wd. But there could be enough back and forth movement when going over bumps and such that the piece you were moving around in the video could have been making.

If the axles are shot, they very well could be making all the noise. They will spin regardless of 4wd engagement.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memoremix

Members Online