NEED HELP Clunking sound after front strut replacement

Mike

Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
I've been reading all evening and can't find a definitive answer so I figured I would ask the experts...... I replaced the driver and passenger strut assemblies on my 03 EXT. After watching numerous videos, I took the plunge. I used the complete spring/strut assembly. Had it all done in 3 hours. Took it for a test ride and it so smooth but hitting certain bumps produced an odd clunking sound. This sound was not there before repairs. I got back under and checked all my work and all the bolts. Everything seemed fine. I can see that the boot is ripped on the upper ball joints and pretty much all the other joints and stuff are rough looking. I don't mind replacing more parts but I hate to chase down a noise by swapping parts. One thing I was wondering is, was I supposed to do anything with the center bolt/nut of the new strut? I didn't have to take it a part or assemble it but should I have checked to make sure it's cranked down tight? Is it possible that the hammering and stuff took a toll on some parts that were already beat up? My wife drives this car so I'm concerned for her safety. Like I said before the replacement was rather simple. I removed 3 bolts, the sway bar, bolt that holds bottom of strut, and the upper control arm/ball joint bolt. All of which went right back together. And of course the 2 nuts on the top of each strut.

I've grabbed, shook, tugged, and hammered everything I can think of. I went as far as jumping up and down on front end to recreate sound. It only does it when I hit a pot hole or some sort of bump in the road or a rail road crossing. Other than that, the ride feels like you're floating in the clouds.

TIA for any advice or assistance!!!!!'

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Clunks like that are normally caused by ball joints or sway bar end links. If you've looked over your work and feel confident that the new stuff isn't at fault, I'd swap out the upper ball joints since they need replaced anyways. If the clunk is still there, look further.

As for the center bolt on the struts, if it's tight then it's good. As in, I wouldn't touch it unless it was obviously loose. Definitely don't want to loosen it.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Did you disconnect the end links? I did that once and they wouldn't retighten as the holes were enlarged/egged out. Pry them up and down and check the studs/nuts for movement.

Mike

Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
Thanks for quick replies! You've put my mind at ease.... To some degree

I did remove the end bolts for the sway bar. I did not take apart the large bolt at the bottom of the lower strut arm though both large lower strut arm bolts look like they've popped out about an 1/8" on the flat side. Not sure if they're supposed to look that way or if some rubber has worn off or what. I'll start with the ball joints and see where that takes me. Thanks the help!

07TrailyLS

May 7, 2014
Toledo ohio
My guess is the sway bar bushings. They only clunk when a good amount of downforce is compressed on the whole front end at once. Pretty cheap and easy to replace. Just remove the end links and pull the sway bar if I'm not
Mistaken. Also if your ball joints are worn to the part of a ripped boot, a clunk should be the least of your worries. Get them replaced

Mirror

Jan 27, 2014
Also check your upper control arms. Mine were making a clunking sound to but prior to changing out the struts. I thought my sound with the strut mounts since they weren't sitting center anymore. Changed out the uca's and noise is gone.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhendsbee