Clock losing time.

Team Dougherty

Original poster
May 22, 2012
The clock in my Envoy will lose time at random times . It is always over night. The radio will keep the stations. It only did it two or three time in the last year or so. But it did it twice over the holiday weekend. I checked the battery connections, fuses for tightness and grounds that I could easily get to. I also load tested the battery. I searched here and the OS but could not find anything other than the things I checked. I know the radio must be losing power but how? I guess I could check the connection at the back of the radio. I would suspect if they are loose there would be an issue when driving.

Any other Ideas?

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
Team Dougherty said:
The clock in my Envoy will lose time at random times . It is always over night. The radio will keep the stations. It only did it two or three time in the last year or so. But it did it twice over the holiday weekend. I checked the battery connections, fuses for tightness and grounds that I could easily get to. I also load tested the battery. I searched here and the OS but could not find anything other than the things I checked. I know the radio must be losing power but how? I guess I could check the connection at the back of the radio. I would suspect if they are loose there would be an issue when driving.

Any other Ideas?

Mostly this happens during cranking, (when it resets to 12:00) because the voltage goes below a certain threshold, but not sure what that low voltage level is.

And this is usually caused by an aging/defective battery.

To verify, turn the key on without starting in the morning, check the time, start, check time.

If you are certain the Battery is good, check connections again, swap in another battery for a final check.

Team Dougherty

Original poster
May 22, 2012
BRomanJr said:
Mostly this happens during cranking, (when it resets to 12:00) because the voltage goes below a certain threshold, but not sure what that low voltage level is.

And this is usually caused by an aging/defective battery.

To verify, turn the key on without starting in the morning, check the time, start, check time.

If you are certain the Battery is good, check connections again, swap in another battery for a final check.

The Funny thing is the time is never at 12:00 at start up. One of the times it was off 30 minutes. Now that I think about it it could have been 12 hours and 30 minutes. We go to the parking lot of an amusement park at 11:30, according the clock radio, I told the wife we have a half hour to a show we wanted to see. She was looking at me funny saying it was only 11:00. I looked at my watch and it in fact was only 11:00 but the clock said 11:30. it was only a 10 minute ride to the park so if it reset to 12:00 it would have said 12:10.

So if it is losing power it is happening in the middle of the night. I keep thinking it must be the out power off that detects the power drain and disconnects the battery to leave you enough power to start.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Checking with your voltmeter before you start it would be a very useful clue. Nobody should own one of these vehicles without at least a $3.99 Harbor Freight meter.

Besides the connector at the back of the radio, check rear fuse 41, that should provide constant battery power to the clock. Could also be a bad clock.

Team Dougherty

Original poster
May 22, 2012
Narrowing it down. Turned on my fog lights on the way home tonight. It cuts power to the radio for under a second and resets the clock. Interesting. Turning on the fog lights causes the radio to blink but it does not always reset the clock.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I would do another load test on your battery, and also check your alternator.

Team Dougherty

Original poster
May 22, 2012
Took the Envoy out today to go fishing. Everything was Normal. A friend drove us up river to kayak back to my car to fish along the way. Got back to my car six hours later. Started it up to head back up river. there was nothing. No radio, it did not even light up. no A/C the vents were stuck on defrost and the temp was stuck on Hot even though it was set to cold. Being 90 to day that did not help. The 12v outlets did not work.

OK now I have a serious issue I thought. Got home did some quick troubleshooting looking for blown fuses. I thought maybe the 125 amp fuse for the back fuse block was blown. Turns out the red wire feeding the rear fuse block was loose at the rear fuse block. Tightened it up all is better now.

nopaybob

Apr 3, 2013
Good to know, I noticed my radio has lost time twice over the last couple weeks.
I added an amp to the rear block no long ago. Time to check that connection.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online

No members online now.