changing radio faceplate question

deerslayer1985

Original poster
Feb 26, 2015
I have an 02 trailblazer ltz. I found a radio with a good faceplate in the junkyard. It looks identical to mine, and is a 6-disc. Can I just remove the faceplate off of the junkyard radio, and put it on mine and not have to worry about taking it to a dealer to get unlocked? I didn't know if just changing the faceplates kept it from locking up? Also will the 6-disc faceplates that are for bose systems work with a non bose 6-disc system, or vice-versa? They look the same on the front.....beside the word bose down in the corner of the screen.....

Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Yes you should be able to change just the faceplate. I was looking at replacing the buttons on my 6 disk but they wanted like 80 bucks just for the buttons so I just got a new aftermarket head unit

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
deerslayer1985 said:
I have an 02 trailblazer ltz. I found a radio with a good faceplate in the junkyard. It looks identical to mine, and is a 6-disc. Can I just remove the faceplate off of the junkyard radio, and put it on mine and not have to worry about taking it to a dealer to get unlocked? I didn't know if just changing the faceplates kept it from locking up? Also will the 6-disc faceplates that are for bose systems work with a non bose 6-disc system, or vice-versa? They look the same on the front.....beside the word bose down in the corner of the screen.....
It should work just fine as long as the buttons line up. The faceplate on a factory radio isn't like on an aftermarket, where the faceplate also acts as a key. In the factory radio, it comes programmed with the vehicle's VIN (or part of it). When everything is turning on, it communicates with the BCM to see what the BCM says the vehicle VIN is. If it doesn't match, the radio doesn't work. This is to keep people from pulling the whole head out of the vehicle, as it's rendered useless without getting it programmed for another VIN (even then, I imagine it'd only work with GM vehicles).

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
If you're literally just talking about the plastic faceplate itself then yes you can swap that and leave the original electronics. As I understand it, the chip that gives the radio the VIN to match is on the main board not the one with the buttons.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online