Changing both diffs tommorrow

Me007gold

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
I plan on changing the fluid in both diffs tommorrow and want to make sure I have everything I need

I've got:

4qts of Mobile 1 75w90
18mm impact socket
Impact wrench
a bunch of extensions
drain pain
and a fliud transfer pump

Is there anything else I need?

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Me007gold said:
I plan on changing the fluid in both diffs tommorrow and want to make sure I have everything I need

I've got:

4qts of Mobile 1 75w90
18mm impact socket
Impact wrench
a bunch of extensions
drain pain

Lots of rags and being Saturday...maybe a six pack:undecided:....Mike

Me007gold

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
If there is no drain plug, I was planing on opening the fill plug then using the pump to remove all the old fluid

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Me007gold said:
I was planing on opening the fill plug
Make sure you can open both fill plugs before you drain.

Ya gotta tip 'em over to fill through the drain hole :rotfl::rotfl:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
i dont see it taking that long to need a six pack :crackup:

back on our mod meet in april of 2011, Matt did his '02 TB in less then 2 hours...

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Me007gold said:
If there is no drain plug, I was planing on opening the fill plug then using the pump to remove all the old fluid

Why not pull off the cover? that way you can clean out all of the junk on the bottom,inspect and feel confident about getting all the old stuff out.I just did my 07 and my gasket was the reuseable type.Also there is a magnet strip on the cover and there is usually a bunch of crap stuck to it that needs to be cleaned off....Mike.

Me007gold

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Looks like its back to the parts store in the morning then. Get some carb cleaner, shop towls, and possibly some black spray paint, I should make the cover look a bit better while i have it off

davenay67

Jan 16, 2012
RayVoy said:
Make sure you can open both fill plugs before you drain.

Ya gotta tip 'em over to fill through the drain hole :rotfl::rotfl:

Word..!!

Always pull the fill plug first. Like checking your chute before jumping out of a plane....:eek:

jbones

Dec 5, 2011
Me007gold said:

I've got:

4qts of Mobile 1 75w90
18mm impact socket
Impact wrench
a bunch of extensions
drain pain

Front:
Both plugs torque 24 foot pounds
Drain bolt is 13mm
Fill bolt is 18mm.

Me007gold

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Is it okay to use an impact socket on the rear diff bolts, my breaker bar just isnt cutting it. I can get the slightly loose but it would take forever to remove all those bolts

Wex

Dec 4, 2011
Me007gold said:
Is it okay to use an impact socket on the rear diff bolts, my breaker bar just isnt cutting it. I can get the slightly loose but it would take forever to remove all those bolts

Those rear bolts kicked my butt. It took a while, my arm was sore but eventually the final bolt came off. Send me a pm if you run across an issue.

woody79

Dec 3, 2011
sorry to :hijack: this thread but ....

Is it possible to get a replacement rear differential cover that has a drain plug on it? I intend on doing mine in the enar future and I don't have the drain plug.

Again, sorry for hijacking the thread :yes:

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
I must be blessed the most I had to do for my bolts was a 1/2 ratchet instead of 3/8
Edit: My drain plug on the 14 bolt is on the actual diff and not the cover so I'm not sure

Me007gold

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
woody79 said:

Is it possible to get a replacement rear differential cover that has a drain plug on it? I intend on doing mine in the enar future and I don't have the drain plug.

STLtrailbSS said:
I must be blessed the most I had to do for my bolts was a 1/2 ratchet instead of 3/8
Edit: My drain plug on the 14 bolt is on the actual diff and not the cover so I'm not sure

I know Ruff Stuff Specilities makes diff covers, do not know if they make one for us, but you could check them out. And yes, if there were a drain plug it would be on the bottom of the diff its self

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
woody79 said:
Is it possible to get a replacement rear differential cover that has a drain plug on it?
At one time, most vehicles came with a drain in the cover, remove it, save $.10, sounds like a good idea. Almost all aftermarket diff covers come with a drain plug, usually, the aftermarket cover allows for additional lub.

Me007gold

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Wex said:
Those rear bolts kicked my butt. It took a while, my arm was sore but eventually the final bolt came off. Send me a pm if you run across an issue.

I picked up an electric impact wrench for $35 at harbor freight, it got the job done perfectly

TonyT

May 6, 2012
woody79 said:

Is it possible to get a replacement rear differential cover that has a drain plug on it? I intend on doing mine in the near future and I don't have the drain plug.

Dumb question because I'm no mechanic but I was chatting with a mechanic friend a few days ago. Wouldn't you want to remove the rear differential cover so you can inspect the magnet for excessive metal? And clean it off?

And to hijack the thread even more does the transfer case not have such a magnet anywhere? My friend tells me the tranny had such so they should've inspected it when they did the flush a few days3ago.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
TonyT said:
Dumb question because I'm no mechanic but I was chatting with a mechanic friend a few days ago. Wouldn't you want to remove the rear differential cover so you can inspect the magnet for excessive metal? And clean it off?

And to hijack the thread even more does the transfer case not have such a magnet anywhere? My friend tells me the tranny had such so they should've inspected it when they did the flush a few days3ago.

Yes, it is a good idea to pull the cover on the rear diff. No, transfer case does not have a magnet to inspect. Yes, there is a magnet in the pan for the transmission and it should have been cleaned off at the service.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online