Changing AC belt Tensioner

iceflow

Original poster
Jan 15, 2014
Folks,
This is specific to the 5.3 V8 installed in a Trailblazer or Rainier. It is not a six cylinder question.
Has anyone replaced the ac belt tensioner assy in the TB or Rainier and can comment on their approach?
I've just changed the ac belt, serp belt, serp tensioner and idler pulley. However I fought shy of changing the ac tensioner....it looks like a bridge too far. There is no access from below the vehicle and you are stretching and working blind on the two tensioner retaining bolts if you go at it from the top, or working blind if you are trying to do it from below. Any tricks to this...apart from letting the dealer do it. :smile:

Thanks

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
You could either go blind from the top (12-point socket would help with alignment) with some extensions or whatever else you need, or disassemble a bunch of stuff on the front (or remove the engine) to see what you're doing.

A telescoping inspection mirror may help you greatly in engaging the socket to the bolt head.

iceflow

Original poster
Jan 15, 2014
Thanks, good point on the mirror. I'll probably have another pop at it rather than leave the new tensioner in it's box. I put myself off too easily I think. I was half expecting it to be a PITA getting the new ac belt on....which it wasn't. I'll have another go. I was a bit ticked that a standard maintenance task was so user unfriendly. I notice on you tube that 1AAuto replace the very same part...but on a truck...and there's bunches of room to go at it underneath. As the guy says..."this is a real easy replacement".....:smile:

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
iceflow said:
Thanks, good point on the mirror. I'll probably have another pop at it rather than leave the new tensioner in it's box. I put myself off too easily I think. I was half expecting it to be a PITA getting the new ac belt on....which it wasn't. I'll have another go. I was a bit ticked that a standard maintenance task was so user unfriendly. I notice on you tube that 1AAuto replace the very same part...but on a truck...and there's bunches of room to go at it underneath. As the guy says..."this is a real easy replacement".....:smile:

Probably because that guy has the benefit of a lift :rotfl:. If you have the guard underneath you could remove it to to get another angle, the scrape guards underneath I believe were an option.

I thought that dude had the I6 in that red w/ gold TB. Oh well :rotfl:

iceflow

Original poster
Jan 15, 2014
IllogicTC said:
Probably because that guy has the benefit of a lift :rotfl:. If you have the guard underneath you could remove it to to get another angle, the scrape guards underneath I believe were an option.

I thought that dude had the I6 in that red w/ gold TB. Oh well :rotfl:

This is the beastie:
How To Install Replace AC Belt Tensioner Silverado Sierra Tahoe Suburban 4.8L 5.3L 6.0L 1AAuto.com - YouTube

Of course that's on a truck and he has loads of room. I'll have another go at it when I get chance.

Thanks

EyeAmRed2U

May 26, 2014
I just did this on my 2004 Buick Rainier. It was a PITA! I had to remove the fan shroud and clutch. I actually had to cut a notch out of the fan shroud to go around the upper radiator outlet. Need the special wrench to disengage the fan clutch from the water pump. Then I replaced the A/C clutch bearing and A/C tensioner. You need a universal socket head for the one bolt as it's at a funky angle. I am not sure if going in from the bottom would be easier, but if you raised the front end up high enough, you may be able to get at it. Good Luck.

Ken

SaabScott

Jul 11, 2013
I recently did this on my 9-7X ...

Fortunately, a really good friend of mine is a Saab Master Tech and has his own shop. He pointed the way and helped out quite a bit. Even in the air, it is certainly a PITA as well as a PITN. I'm hoping the replacement will last me the remaining life of the truck. :hissyfit:

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
plenty of room with efans :smile:

there is a little bracket that bolts to the front cross member, i have no idea what it does or why it is there. might help to remove that and go from the bottom.

Reactions: MichEnvoyGuy

sarg

Mar 17, 2014
Just did this. No fan removal. The first bolt towards the engine comes out easy. The second one I had to use an extension and a wobble to get to it. I had to squeeze around the fan shroud and had little working room. I had to do in from below with the tire and cover removed. It was slow going but doable. Took about 45 minutes total. Seems like I used a ratcheting wrench too, but I can't seem to remember why.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online