Canister Purge Solenoid

jbaas14

Original poster
Aug 22, 2012
Long time lurker, first time posting, thank you for such a great site to come to has helped me many times.

I keep getting the P0440 code and have replaced the vent solenoid and am also doing the purge solenoid. How many connections actually go to the purge solenoid? I have the electrical in the back and a hose facing towards the grill connected to it, but I see there is another spot above the electrical where it looks like a hose should be on the backside and there is none. Anyone know if there is supposed to be 3 connections to the solenoid or just the electrical and the one hose? Thanks!!

dfc739

Jul 29, 2012
Des Moines, IA
jbaas14 said:
Long time lurker, first time posting, thank you for such a great site to come to has helped me many times.

I keep getting the P0440 code and have replaced the vent solenoid and am also doing the purge solenoid. How many connections actually go to the purge solenoid? I have the electrical in the back and a hose facing towards the grill connected to it, but I see there is another spot above the electrical where it looks like a hose should be on the backside and there is none. Anyone know if there is supposed to be 3 connections to the solenoid or just the electrical and the one hose? Thanks!!

The purge solenoid should be a black part mounted on the driver's side of the engine block. Yes, it should have three connections: one that goes to the throttle body (it's a black hose), one to the electrical, and one to a hose that meets up with the purge line from the tank vent. The green cap in the second pic below represents where this last line is, and I think that's what you're missing. Here are a couple pics when I replaced mine:

View attachment 24344

View attachment 24346

The two connectors are different. The one going to the throttle body connects similarly to the purge solenoid: study it. It has a small tab that you slide to one side and it comes right off. The connector to the tank vent is a squeeze type similar to the AIR pump connections. It's pretty tight in there so it always helps to know how the connectors come off. Also, there is a tab holding the solenoid onto the engine. You can either pull the small bolt holding it, or you can slide a small straight pick in there to bend it up and slide it off.

Dan

Attachments

• PurgeSole1.jpg
    PurgeSole1.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 37
  • PurgeSole3.jpg
    PurgeSole3.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 30

jbaas14

Original poster
Aug 22, 2012
Thank you so much Dan, much appreciated. Somehow that hose was disconnected, found it tucked away, plugged it in along with the new purge solenoid. We will see if that was the only issue that caused the p0440 code.

Love this site, it has helped so much. Gotta thank all that make it what it is, replaced my purge solenoid, vent solenoid, and upper ball joint this week with the help of you all.:wootwoot:

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
jbaas14 said:
Thank you so much Dan, much appreciated. Somehow that hose was disconnected, found it tucked away, plugged it in along with the new purge solenoid. We will see if that was the only issue that caused the p0440 code.

Love this site, it has helped so much. Gotta thank all that make it what it is, replaced my purge solenoid, vent solenoid, and upper ball joint this week with the help of you all.:wootwoot:

So you saved about a grand in mechanic work lol. as well as alot in parts money. Doesnt it pay to be hands on :smile:

I know when i went for last alignment they said upper ball joint was shot and quotes 160 for new ball joint and same for labor. 20 bucks at autozone have one with lifetime warranty and grease fitting and about 30 mins to change driver and 15 for passenger. Saved an easy 600 bucks there.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zee0719

Members Online