Canada banning WD40/Brakeclean/etc...

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Well shit! That was snuck by. This environment minister is on crack! I guess I'd better stock up :mad:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Holy crap. What are garages / shops supposed to do, for brake cleaner? California bans the red can, but still allows the non-chlorinated (green can) to be sold there (for now, at least).

I'm guessing (?) the chlorinated liquid (comes in gallon jugs) will still be available in Canada. You can get a dispenser that has an air connection and pressurize it (Marc from South Main Auto uses one). I was going to get one figuring that that would be cheaper than buying spray cans, but haven't gotten around to it (and it's a PITA to fire up my air compressor, as well). The gallon jugs now run about $50 USD on Amazon (another reason I haven't bought one yet -- they were $18 or so, once upon a time).

Or...since 90% of brakleen is acetone, per the video... maybe just get some of that. I can vouch that it's one helluva solvent -- love using it on the interior of oil pans.

WD-40 is also available in the States in liquid form, by the gallon (so that's two dispensers you'd need, if you went that route).

Mike of Maine

Sep 6, 2023
Maine~
It seems like another layer of insurance for auto manufacurers. Never mind the 'right to repair' legislation issues, most people can't afford/justify the expense or the space to store all of this stuff in gallon containers, dispensers, compressors. Imagine you are 16 and doing your first brake job to try and save a buck.
My garage already has shelves full of auto related products. It looks like a messy Awful Zone store!
Maybe have to buy a fork truck and go Big Box Store style if these laws make it south over the border! I wonder how much cheaper, bulk buying by the pallet.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
However I have found that brake cleaner is used a lot more than it used to. I remember when I did my first brake jobs, I used paint thinner on a rag. Just look at SMA and especially Rainman Ray on YT, they use it a lot. It's become so cheap that people just douse everything with it to just get rid of a few drips of oil after an oil change.

Do I agree with the ban? No and I will stock up on it. What about other sprays like carb, MAF and throttle body cleaner as well as other useful sprays? Spray paint? This will just create smuggling and black market of these products.

Reactions: northcreek

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
However I have found that brake cleaner is used a lot more than it used to.
Agreed! our solvent of choice used to be gasoline, no more flammable than brake cleaner and what else can you buy a gallon of for under $5.00?.....

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
We have a brake clean and WD40 idiot at work. I blame Youtube for this and the main cause of the over use of these products.

When I started my trade in the 80's.....we still had true English guys who believed that you sprayed varsol (WD40 and Starret M1) on aluminum for all sorts of machining. The stuff stinks up the shop something fierce and has little to no lubrication qualities to it. We've moved on.

Fast forward to today when all the CNC machines have water based coolant tanks mixed at 3 to 6 percent with a soluble product. We don't machine aluminum much....mostly mild and carbon steels where WD40 is completely useless as a coolant and cutting fluid. That doesn't stop our idiot one bit from releasing large clouds of white smoke from the friction of carbide tooling that runs at a greater SFM. He's been told to stop......but he believes he has the right.

Ban the idiots....not the products.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Clarification for WD 40.

However, brakeclean is still getting banned. Already bought a case of it on sale at Princess Auto.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online