Can I Remove Registration Stickers Without Damaging Them?

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
I just pulled the plate off our old family boat's trailer. This plate should have 30 years worth of registration stickers on it. (the "16", going all the way back to about "87" or so). I'm probably going to get the new plate since this one is so beat up. And of course that will come with a new sticker. BUT for old-times sake, I'm wondering if theres any way I might be able to dissolve the glue, but not the stickers, on this plate? It would be pretty neat to get them all off and separate! The glue on these things is pretty permanent though, and the stickers quickly get nice and brittle. But maybe theres something I can soak the plate in? I'm getting a new one so I could soak this one as long as needed.

pL62CJZ.jpg

Trkdrvremt

Oct 22, 2014
NJ
Maybe try a hair dryer or hot- boiling water... Maybe soak in goo gone... Never tried removing those type of stickers with the plans of keeping them...

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I've used Rustoleum Decal and Adhesive Remover with great results on double sided mounting tape, and peeling off bumper stickers. Comes in an aerosol can, and has a pleasant smell too. Spray it on, let it sit for a few minutes to soak in, then get to work.

3M has a similar product, I haven't used it myself, but I'm pretty sure it gives the same results. :twocents:

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
I bet if you get the adhesive warm enough that they will come right apart in one piece.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I'm going to say 'no' (or at least that you're not going to be very successful), based on my own similar experience.

We use the same sticker arrangement in my state, and I had so many a couple of years ago on my oldest plate (easily 10+ years, probably 15 or more) that I decided to remove the old ones, as I wasn't sure the latest one would stick properly (or someone might take it - see below).

I didn't soak the plate (and I think that's your best option, btw), but rather used a utility blade to remove as many of the old stickers as I could. As you've found out, the adhesive they use on these is very good - and with time, they become very brittle. So they don't tend to be removed easily - or individually. I wasn't trying to do what you want to try, but I know if I had - it would've been very frustrating, to say the least.

In recent years in my state, they also started scoring the sticker diagonally in both directions - so that an attempt at removal tends to get you about 25% of the sticker, if you're lucky - not the whole - no matter how careful you are. This was done to thwart removal attempts by thieves - we had a time where people would steal others' stickers and place on their own. Now they've changed it again, where they removed the scoring, but print the plate # on the sticker itself, to further deter theft. But I digress.

Based on what I saw when I removed my 'stack' a couple of years ago, I think your most likely outcome is that you *might* get down to the original sticker - if you're very, very lucky and careful. And soaking would be your best start to that process. But all or most of the full series, separate and intact - I very much doubt you'll be able to do it. Further complicating things is that your plate appears to be like mine, in that it has a ridge / indented area for the sticker area - so you wouldn't have a flat edge with enough room to get down to the last few stickers, at least in the left and bottom corners.

If you do try it, and manage to have some degree of success, post pics - I'll certainly take a look at your results and give you an 'attaboy' for your hard work (for what that's worth). But I think you'll find it a frustrating exercise - if you go into it with that mindset, you'll minimize disappointment (in inverse proportion to the amount of time you spend trying!)

Reactions: Trkdrvremt

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
BTW, stacking stickers like this allows people to steal them off your plate. They'd just scrape the bottom sticker with the top valid sticker intact. That's why I always scrape off the old sticker before putting on the new one.

Reactions: djthumper

AWD V8

Jan 12, 2015
I always use a razor blade and shave off the old sticker so they don't get stacked up. If the plate is warm, like in the sun, I start at a corner and just see-saw the blade back and forth and it slides under the decal. If you tilt is in sharply it may bite into the coating on the plate and remove some of it, but the new sticker still sticks fine.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Never tried. Razor blade would probably work with heat of you're careful. But the great state of new Jersey stopped issuing plate stickers around 2008 or so. And for whatever reason the boat trailer I have likes to lose plates. The mount has broken off three times now.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keithdm