Can a bad battery cause your vehicle to run like crap?

Vonhendon

Original poster
Member
Dec 7, 2011
55
My Voy has been running like crap for awhile and nobody can figure it out, but I could have swore that I read a bad battery could cause driveability problems.
 

03TB93

Member
Mar 25, 2012
341
when you say "running like crap", how do you mean? just no performance? RPM drops accasionally? More info please to try to get to the root of the problem :thumbsup: and how old is your battery?
 

navigator

Member
Dec 3, 2011
504
Vonhendon said:
My Voy has been running like crap for awhile and nobody can figure it out, but I could have swore that I read a bad battery could cause driveability problems.
I know Jeeps run poorly with a bad battery, I expect the same could be true of many other models.
My battery in the TB started getting weak last summer but I don't recall any other symptoms before I changed it.
I didn't let mine get to be a real problem though before I changed it.

Is your battery getting weak? If so you need to change it anyway.
 

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Member
Nov 19, 2011
9,957
Portland, OR
Bad VOLTAGE can cause problems, so an alternator that can't keep the battery voltage constant while it's running can be an issue. What's your voltmeter say when you connect it at the battery when the engine's running and also when it's off?

And as every else is going to ask: what is the precise nature of your crappy running and what's the skill level of folks who have looked at it so far? Amateurs, professionals, or dealers?

Pretend we're like Dr. Gregory House, and you're in the hospital and we have NO idea what your case history is. Bring us up to date with details. :yes:
 

Vonhendon

Original poster
Member
Dec 7, 2011
55
03TB93 said:
when you say "running like crap", how do you mean? just no performance? RPM drops accasionally? More info please to try to get to the root of the problem :thumbsup: and how old is your battery?
RPM's drop suddenly, almost dies but don't, when I'm driving it feels like it's dragging and missing and when I come to a stop sometimes the RPM drop's. Just turning the steering wheel cause's the RPM's to drop and sometimes almost die.
 

Vonhendon

Original poster
Member
Dec 7, 2011
55
the roadie said:
Bad VOLTAGE can cause problems, so an alternator that can't keep the battery voltage constant while it's running can be an issue. What's your voltmeter say when you connect it at the battery when the engine's running and also when it's off?

And as every else is going to ask: what is the precise nature of your crappy running and what's the skill level of folks who have looked at it so far? Amateurs, professionals, or dealers?

Pretend we're like Dr. Gregory House, and you're in the hospital and we have NO idea what your case history is. Bring us up to date with details. :yes:
I don't have a voltmeter but this would be a good time to learn how to use one. It started running bad after a garage changed my timing chain cover gasket so it's been back to them 4 times to figure out what the problem is. next stop will be a local dealer.
 

Vonhendon

Original poster
Member
Dec 7, 2011
55
the roadie said:
Timing chain cover involves the area of the CPAS, so a visit to a Tech II tool to look into the VVT functionality is in order.
So could that mean just replacing the CPAS or something much worse? All I know is when I first took it to them and ran great and when I got it back it ran like crap and I said what did you guys do to my vehicle.
 

Irishboy02

Member
Apr 1, 2012
222
On the fullsize's we have a similar issue that you describe. 99% of the time points to the alternator
 

jrSS

Member
Dec 4, 2011
3,950
My tb SS ran like shit. But my battery was to the point if I had the radio on for 2 min. the truck wouldn't start. The alt. was putting a heavy load on the engine trying to keep up with the battery. So after I changed the battery it "seemed" to launch better andmore responsive.
 

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Member
Nov 19, 2011
9,957
Portland, OR
Vonhendon said:
So could that mean just replacing the CPAS or something much worse?
No, it means the CPAS is one of many possible root causes. All we can do on an internet forum is guess blindly on your symptoms so far. You may need a competent hands-on diagnostician with a Tech II tool. Hard to tell at this point.
All I know is when I first took it to them and ran great and when I got it back it ran like crap and I said what did you guys do to my vehicle.
And what was their answer to that question? Why aren't they fixing it? Have they denied you satisfaction?
 

Vonhendon

Original poster
Member
Dec 7, 2011
55
the roadie said:
No, it means the CPAS is one of many possible root causes. All we can do on an internet forum is guess blindly on your symptoms so far. You may need a competent hands-on diagnostician with a Tech II tool. Hard to tell at this point.And what was their answer to that question? Why aren't they fixing it? Have they denied you satisfaction?

I have to be honest, they have tried to figure out the problem. They've had my vehicle at least 4 times and have checked out everything. I believe the owner told me they use the same tool GM uses. But if you could be so kind as to break this down to me,You said {Timing chain cover involves the area of the CPAS, so a visit to a Tech II tool to look into the VVT functionality is in order.}
The Owner is going to be calling me later and I want to know what I'm talking about.
 

anthonyl79

Member
Jul 15, 2012
127
Colorado
Vonhendon said:
I have to be honest, they have tried to figure out the problem. They've had my vehicle at least 4 times and have checked out everything. I believe the owner told me they use the same tool GM uses. But if you could be so kind as to break this down to me,You said {Timing chain cover involves the area of the CPAS, so a visit to a Tech II tool to look into the VVT functionality is in order.}
The Owner is going to be calling me later and I want to know what I'm talking about.

Here are some pictures of the parts that Roadie was talking about http://gmtnation.com/f25/question-about-camshaft-position-actuator-solenoid-sensor-4225/

That guy controls the timing on the cam shafts. Mine ran like crap when it was bad. The Tech II is the tool that GM uses, there are other scanners out there, but they will not do what the GM Tech II will do. Have complete control over just about everything on the vehical with the TECH II.

Hope this info help with you conversation.
 

Vonhendon

Original poster
Member
Dec 7, 2011
55
anthonyl79 said:
Here are some pictures of the parts that Roadie was talking about http://gmtnation.com/f25/question-about-camshaft-position-actuator-solenoid-sensor-4225/

That guy controls the timing on the cam shafts. Mine ran like crap when it was bad. The Tech II is the tool that GM uses, there are other scanners out there, but they will not do what the GM Tech II will do. Have complete control over just about everything on the vehical with the TECH II.

Hope this info help with you conversation.[/QUOTE
I took them pic's, I guess I'm trying to figure what changing the timing cover has to do with effecting the cpas.
 

anthonyl79

Member
Jul 15, 2012
127
Colorado
Vonhendon said:
anthonyl79 said:
Here are some pictures of the parts that Roadie was talking about http://gmtnation.com/f25/question-about-camshaft-position-actuator-solenoid-sensor-4225/

That guy controls the timing on the cam shafts. Mine ran like crap when it was bad. The Tech II is the tool that GM uses, there are other scanners out there, but they will not do what the GM Tech II will do. Have complete control over just about everything on the vehical with the TECH II.

Hope this info help with you conversation.[/QUOTE
I took them pic's, I guess I'm trying to figure what changing the timing cover has to do with effecting the cpas.

IF they bumped the wiring, or unpluged those and damaged them or the wiring, then you would have problems. They are right there at the valve cover. Or if they got some sort of dirt in the CPAS when they changed the valve cover gasket.
 

anthonyl79

Member
Jul 15, 2012
127
Colorado
Vonhendon said:
Timing Chain Cover Gasket, not Valve Cover Gasket.

My bad on that, though you had mentioned the timing cover. That is still right there on the front of engine, so never know. Could have gotten bumped, wires snagged on a tool or something along those lines.
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,485
Posts
639,862
Members
18,722
Latest member
bigchadwell

Members Online

No members online now.