C0040 & c0055 & p0455

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
SES lit up this morning. Read those three codes. P0455 is likely the gas cap, I hear.

As I researched the other two codes, I've read a few different things.

Some folks say for C0040 Right Front Wheel speed sensor, just replace the sensor. Some folks say it's a sign to replace the hub.

C0055 is vehicle speed sensor, as far as I can tell it's the rear wheels. But a lot of the people report ABS lights with the C0055.

Any thoughts on this?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
One common item is the ABS control module. Might check its ground on the frame for corrosion/looseness.

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
For anybody landing here on a search on C0040 and C0055, the troubleshooting is in the Antilock Brakes chapter in the downloadable manuals from the site.

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
So I go back to the same AAP to check in with their same OBDII device, but I get a different technician today.

Prior to this return trip I (1) found, unbolted, cleaned, and re-bolted the ABS ground wire and (2) got a new gas cap from the local dealer since AAP didn't have the caps with the tethers (and that's all that has kept the original with the truck on many an occasion!).

CEL is still on. I still get the p0455. I replaced the cap yesterday, there was some thought at AAP that it would take a few days to go away if it were indeed the gas cap. The tech this time, though, said that it was "major" and suggested I look for vacuum hoses ... so now I need to learn more if that is indeed the case. Or does it just take a while after changing the cap? When I changed the thermostat, the CEL went off immediately.

ABS codes were "historical" though I suppose I don't know if they were on the first reading, or not. Tech said a quick disconnect of the 'ol battery would get rid of those.

Thoughts?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
#1Diy_er!

Members Online