brakes

spddmn77

Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
Need some help guys, i'm new here. The other day while driving on the highway i felt and heard a clicking sound while taking a highway interchange at 40 mph. I had stepped on my brake slightly to slow when making the turn when it happened. I had taken this turn before at 50 and it never happened. It freaked me out when i felt it, so i let off the brake in fear that if i tried pressing it more something might break and send me into the concrete wall. What could it be? some insight would be greatly appreciated! :confused:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Get it in the air and check for a grinding bearing noise, something caught between the rotor and the dust shield, or thin pad thickness. Have you changed pads ever on this or other vehicles?

spddmn77

Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
the roadie said:
Get it in the air and check for a grinding bearing noise, something caught between the rotor and the dust shield, or thin pad thickness. Have you changed pads ever on this or other vehicles?

No, I've never changed the pads in this tb. I looked the other day and they seem to be in good condition, but why do you think I would feel it on the brake pedal it self?

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
you will feel the pedal if there is something wrong between disk and pad, bearing failure could change the geometry and cause this. (make the disk wobble vs spinning true)

brakes are a hydraulic system with one diameter piston hooked to the pedal, and other pistons which push against the brake shoes (and visa versa)

my brake pedal pulsed on application this summer when the inner surface of the disks were very rusted from parking too long and sticky pins. rough disk let me know by pushing back on the brake pedal

spddmn77

Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
meerschm said:
you will feel the pedal if there is something wrong between disk and pad, bearing failure could change the geometry and cause this. (make the disk wobble vs spinning true)

brakes are a hydraulic system with one diameter piston hooked to the pedal, and other pistons which push against the brake shoes (and visa versa)

my brake pedal pulsed on application this summer when the inner surface of the disks were very rusted from parking too long and sticky pins. rough disk let me know by pushing back on the brake pedal

Thats just it the brake pedal feels fine, no pulsating nothing at all. It just happens when i take turns like that, this is the second time it's happened. the first time it happened when taking a slight left turn and the other day i was making a right turn. I'll probably jack it up tomorrow if it's not raining and see if i can find anything that looks out of place.:undecided:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online