Brakes squealing when moving, not when stopping.

LawnRanger

Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Hi, I am having an issue similar to blackout51's from this thread - http://gmtnation.com/f78/brakes-squeak-when-moving-slow-why-5540/ . But its only happening on the passenger side front.

My calipers on the front are about 8 months old, along with the pads. I put some brake lubricant at all contact points of the pads when I did the brakes and again about 2 weeks ago, but that didn't do anything. I even tried swapping the front rotors with no luck. It also squeals even worse if I am making a right hand turn. I am leaning toward flushing the brake fluid this weekend and seeing if that helps. But from the other thread it seems like it may be a bad caliper.

I was just wondering if anyone had any other suggestions? Thanks.

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
It might be two things, rotors are warped but wouldn't be the case if you don't feel pulsation when braking. Does the brake pads have any uneven wear? That could indicate a stuck piston. But it wouldn't explain squealing...

The other thing is that the squealing might be something other than the brakes such as the wheel hub assembly bearing.

Now that I think about it, if you swapped rotors and the squealing is still coming from the passenger side, it might be the brake pads (if you didn't swapped sides on those) or again the wheel bearing.

Edit: Or maybe it's the 4wd wheel disconnect that has a bad bearing...

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Is it squealing noise like the noise when a large city bus stops? If so it's the brake pads. They just aren't working well with the rotors you have or the rotors/pads have been overheated at some point.

LawnRanger

Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
seanpooh said:
It might be two things, rotors are warped but wouldn't be the case if you don't feel pulsation when braking. Does the brake pads have any uneven wear? That could indicate a stuck piston. But it wouldn't explain squealing...

The other thing is that the squealing might be something other than the brakes such as the wheel hub assembly bearing.

Now that I think about it, if you swapped rotors and the squealing is still coming from the passenger side, it might be the brake pads (if you didn't swapped sides on those) or again the wheel bearing.

Edit: Or maybe it's the 4wd wheel disconnect that has a bad bearing...

I didn't swap pads when I swapped rotors. I don't get any vibration when stopping so I think Rotors are ok. I forgot to mention that the pads I put on ( I did all 4 sets) are ceramic. I thought I read somewhere that its best to put new rotors on when going to ceramics, but the squealing started about a month ago, whereas I did the brake job/ caliper replacement about 8 months ago. I also think its strange that its a lot louder when turning right, or even just swerving a little to the right from a straight line.

Also the squealing sounds a lot like when the brake wear indicator is digging into the rotor, but mine aren't. The overheating thing may be something because I like to drive fast and brake hard :smile:

I appreciate the input. I won't have time today to mess with it . Just stopped home to change between jobs. I will hopefully pull it apart tomorrow.

LawnRanger

Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Well, it turned out to be the caliper. It was under warranty so I got a replacement for free. When I pulled the tire off and then the caliper it was leaking around one of the pistons. I the pushed the brake pedal down and only one of the pistons was moving ( the one that was leaking was moving). The other one would not budge.

Now I am rolling quietly , except for my Bass :biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online