Both Window Washers Do Not Work

Rockin

Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
I have a 2008 Envoy and both the front and rear Window Washers are not working. They have worked intermittently for the last year and I had this looked into while it was under warranty, the dealer found the lines to be clogged. They cleaned them out and the washers worked fine for a few months then they started to work intermittently again. Sometimes the rear washer would work and the front washer wouldn’t and visa-versa. Now neither of the washers work.

I did some research on here and other sites and have checked the fuses (they are OK) and the washer fluid reservoir is ¾ full. I am wondering if there is a common part, such as a relay, that could fail causing both washers not to work? I haven’t had a chance to check to see if the pumps are working or if the lines are clogged yet but it just seems odd to me that they both would quite working.

Also, I noticed that many people have problems with washer lines and nozzles becoming clogged on the Envoys and Trailblazers, does anyone know why this is as I have owned many vehicles in the 32 years I have been driving and not one of them ever had a clogged washer system (except for a few occasions where they froze in the winter but that was before the advent of the new cold weather washer fluid)? Thanks for your help!

jpimp

Feb 1, 2013
Can you hear the pump making a buzzing sound that would indiacte they are working?
perhaps have someone push the button in the truck while you stand out side and listen for any noise.
you could check for power at the pumps with the switch held by some one in the truck?
pumps are only about 20-30 bucks a piece it looks like

hope this helps

good luck

-J

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
If you keep pumping when it doesn't spray does it eventually start? I've read somewhere about a faulty check valve, it's purpose is to keep the fluid in the lines, when it fails it allows the fluid to drain back to the tank. I'm not sure of the location but you could download a copy of Mooseman's service manuals.

Oh and welcome to GMTNation :thumbsup:

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
could also be clogged again too. I've heard a shot of air from a compresser cleans em out nicely.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
Denali n DOO said:
If you keep pumping when it doesn't spray does it eventually start? I've read somewhere about a faulty check valve, it's purpose is to keep the fluid in the lines, when it fails it allows the fluid to drain back to the tank. I'm not sure of the location but you could download a copy of Mooseman's service manuals.

:iagree:

There really isn't anything common electrically between the front and rear systems other than being controlled by body control module. Each pump has its own fuse and relay:
front: WSW fuse 9, relay 42
rear: WPR fuse 7, relay 38

There is a TSB (Bulletin No.: 06-08-43-002B) about adding a check valve to the fluid lines at the joint on the passenger side fender just above the fluid tank. I don't believe these are standard issue--it's a fix when the pumps constantly lose prime and there is a long delay for the fluid to start spraying.

Going back to the original problem:
1)are the pumps running and just not spraying fluid (clog)
2) taking a long time to spray fluid (losing prime and/or clog)
or
3)are the pumps not even running? (electrical)

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Dude didn't waste anytime registering here!

Rockin

Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
jpimp said:
Can you hear the pump making a buzzing sound that would indiacte they are working?
perhaps have someone push the button in the truck while you stand out side and listen for any noise.
you could check for power at the pumps with the switch held by some one in the truck?
pumps are only about 20-30 bucks a piece it looks like

hope this helps

good luck

-J

This is the next thing I am going to try and If the pumps run, I will start to pull the lines to see were the clog is (I just haven't had someone available to help me with this yet but will this weekend).

Denali n DOO said:

No matter how long I hold the buttons or pump them, nothing sprays out. Thanks!

DDonnie said:
could also be clogged again too. I've heard a shot of air from a compresser cleans em out nicely.

Yeah, that's a possibility. I just thought it was strange that I noticed they both quit working at the same time.

AtlWrk said:
:iagree:

There really isn't anything common electrically between the front and rear systems other than being controlled by body control module. Each pump has its own fuse and relay:
front: WSW fuse 9, relay 42
rear: WPR fuse 7, relay 38

There is a TSB (Bulletin No.: 06-08-43-002B) about adding a check valve to the fluid lines at the joint on the passenger side fender just above the fluid tank. I don't believe these are standard issue--it's a fix when the pumps constantly lose prime and there is a long delay for the fluid to start spraying.

Going back to the original problem:
1)are the pumps running and just not spraying fluid (clog)
2) taking a long time to spray fluid (losing prime and/or clog)
or
3)are the pumps not even running? (electrical)

Thanks for the info on the service bulletin! I will be checking items 1-3 this weekend.

Playsinsnow said:
Dude didn't waste anytime registering here!

There's a lot more help on this site, Thanks!!!

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I see you have an Envoy, and some of the Envoys came with headlight washers.. Does yours have them? Do they work?

If you have them, and they don't work, I would start with a washer tank flush out, as well as a line flush out. Sounds like a contaminant got in there..

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
FWIW mine have never clogged up.

(Watch them go clog on me now)

Definitely would be checking to see if you're getting power to the motors first. If not, I'd check their plugs and also the common grounds.

Rockin

Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Thanks for all of the replies, I appreciate it!!! I am going to troubleshoot it this weekend and will let you know what I find. Thanks again!

Gevans17

Jan 8, 2012
Rockin said:
Thanks for all of the replies, I appreciate it!!! I am going to troubleshoot it this weekend and will let you know what I find. Thanks again!

New pumps can be had at Auitozone for about $15 each.

Rockin

Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
I didn’t get much time to troubleshoot my Washer Pump issue this weekend but I did swap both fuses and relays just to double check they were OK; they were. I also checked to see if the pumps ran when the Washer Switches were activated; they did not. I could however hear and feel both pumps click when the switches were activated so there is power to them. The pumps seemed to be froze up from the click noise I heard when the switches were activated. I pulled the fluid line connection apart on each line at the connection point about halfway back and at the top of the passenger side fender as it was difficult to get to the line connection at the pump without taking the Air Box off (I was short on time) then I activated each switch and no fluid came out. It appears that both pumps are shot unless they would be plugged at the outlet of the pump. I am going to pick up new pumps and replace them but will pull the lines at the pumps before I do to make sure they are not clogged there.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I believe even if they are clogged, they would still run. Not just click.

Rockin

Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
I finally found the time to install 2 new pumps and the washers work great now. Thanks for all of your help and suggestions!

Reactions: olerox

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
Rockin said:
I finally found the time to install 2 new pumps and the washers work great now. Thanks for all of your help and suggestions!

problems can be traced to how hard is the water you use if you are just putting water from the tap in it. You just need to use a compressor with a nozzle to blow out the lines since it tends to "dam" up right at the nozzle. Mine has done it, Fabian's was doing it. Couple shots of air right into the nozzle on the hood and voila.

Rockin

Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
DFWWIZ said:
problems can be traced to how hard is the water you use if you are just putting water from the tap in it. You just need to use a compressor with a nozzle to blow out the lines since it tends to "dam" up right at the nozzle. Mine has done it, Fabian's was doing it. Couple shots of air right into the nozzle on the hood and voila.

Thanks, I will keep this in mind! I have just used Windshield Washer fluid in it since I bought it 1.5 years ago since I live in Wisconsin and we had frost on the ground last week but I do not know what the previous owner used. Thanks again!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online