Bolts

NJTB

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
One of my rear upper control arms rusted through, and being cautious, I ordered a kit with all 4 arms. They came without bolts, so I'm hoping one of the learned people on this list knows the size. Further hoping it will be a Home Depot, or a hardware store item.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I do not know the size but you may find something at HD. I got replacement upper ball joint pinch bolts at HD. Be aware that you may end up with a different bilt head size than original though - for example, the front UBJ pinch bolts originally are a metric head, but I found out that the shank was actually SAE after doing comparisons. Stupid I know, mot sure what GM was thinking there. But after seeing that it makes me wonder how many other bolts are metric sized heads on SAE shanks/threads.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Before condemning the OEM In-Dwelling Bolts... after De-Greasing the fasteners or ferrous components with Brake-Kleen, try dropping them into little plastic tub along with this Non-Toxic, Re-Usable "Evapo-Rust" Solution.

I've used as much as 5 Gallons of this stuff in tall containers to completely De-Rust Steering Knuckles and all 10.9 Hard (Grade 8) Bolts and Brackets. It just WORKS. You can either re-use the stuff or harmlessly wash it down the drain in your Kitchen Sink.

Then you can give them all a very close visual inspection and go from there. For the amount you would require, it only costs around $10.00 for the container via Amazon and is a much better alternative to using a sketchy clean up using the Wire Wheel Brushing Technique.

I'll be very surprised if they don';t come out looking Brand New and turn out to be completely serviceable...and if NOT you'll have a definitive answer as to whether or not to purchase Automotive Grade New Fasteners:

EVAPORUST.jpg

This Video will more than convince you of just how good this stuff really is:

Last edited:
Reactions: gmcman

NJTB

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
Thanks for the answers guys, I do appreciate it.
I got under the car yesterday and tried to change the control arms, but in my tiny garage with the car on ramps I just couldn't get the leverage to break the bolts free. Used a 3 foot breaker bar with a pipe on the end, but ran out if room to swing the wrench. Plus the amount of rust worries me a bunch. I really don't think the bolts will come out without breaking, plus I'm hoping they're not rusted to the bushings which makes it almost impossible to remove.
Wound up calling a shop near me, he said he'd replace them, so Tuesday I'm bringing it in.
I did manage to measure the bolts, and I THINK they're 9/16 x 12 x 3 1/2. Used the new control arms to measure the 9/16.
Wish me luck.

Reactions: mrrsm

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
They're big enough that you probably won't be able to break them off, but there is the chance they could be rusted to the bushings.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
For anyone else faced with this situation and in desperate need of Automotive Grade GM Fasteners (10.9 for Metric or Grade 8 for SAE) ... Browse what they have offered online ...HERE:

NJTB

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
Guys
It wasn't so bad. Took the car to the local guy, who seems to thrive on rusted stuff. I really thought he was going to say buy a new car, but no, he got the control arms in no problem. Bolts weren't even rusted to the bushings, surprised me.
All in all, it was $100 for the 4 control arms, and he charged $200 to put them in. Thinking about me sweating and swearing under the car to put them in, the whole thing was cheap.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Sometimes it is worth it to pay someone to do it for you. Driveway mechanical work is getting really old.

Reactions: Redbeard

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online