Blower resistor?

c0a8l0v6i8n9

Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
I searched and didn't find what I was looking for.

Speeds 1-5 work perfect.

My problem is even on the off setting the blower motor still spins. The only way to stop it is turn the key off.

Would this be a bad resistor?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Impossible to have a bad resistor do that. More likely to be a switch in the control module. I don't think I've ever heard of a manual (5-speed) system do that. How fast is the blower spinning when you turn it off?

The automatic, digital controlled system can do that with a bad speed control module, which is in the same location as a resistor pack down by the blower. But you have the 5-speed system with a knob to turn to control the speed, and not up/down arrow buttons?

Do you have a meter and some electrical troubleshooting experience to measure voltages down on the resistor pack?

c0a8l0v6i8n9

Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
the roadie said:
Impossible to have a bad resistor do that. More likely to be a switch in the control module. I don't think I've ever heard of a manual (5-speed) system do that. How fast is the blower spinning when you turn it off?

The automatic, digital controlled system can do that with a bad speed control module, which is in the same location as a resistor pack down by the blower. But you have the 5-speed system with
a knob to turn to control the speed, and not up/down arrow buttons?

Do you have a meter and some electrical troubleshooting experience to measure voltages down on the resistor pack?

It spins very slow, I can hear it spinning like its hitting up against the hvac housing.

I do have the manual controls. Off is slow 1 is a bit faster.

I do have a meter but electric is not my best.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I would let it lie, then. Or find a friend with the same control module, and swap to prove that's what it is before investing in a new one. Whatever it is, I don't think it's the cheap $20 resistor pack. The circuit doesn't support that theory.

c0a8l0v6i8n9

Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
the roadie said:
I would let it lie, then. Or find a friend with the same control module, and swap to prove that's what it is before investing in a new one. Whatever it is, I don't think it's the cheap $20 resistor pack. The circuit doesn't support that theory.

Ok I'll see what I come up with thank you.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe102938

Members Online